Author Topic: Help - how to i get multiplayer going?  (Read 11261 times)

zoomgirl

• View Profile
Help - how to i get multiplayer going?
« on: April 01, 2006, 10:49:23 PM »
hi

im new to fs2. i heard it was a good multiplayer space game. But I can't seem to get my fs2net to work even though I followed the instructions?

I have a full bitrrorent copy of fs2 and I have the 1.20 patch plus no cd patch.
I applied both of them.

Then I downloaded fs2net's launcher, fs2net's cfg file plus fs2net's fs2.exe file and applied them ad per th einsturctions in the faq. but then i get an fs2.exe error at the start and everything crashes.  I have even pinholed ports as suggested.

I also tried not using fs2net's fs2.exe but then no servers are seen even though i can see them on your website.

som equestions :-

1) Should I apply your fs2net multiplyer how-to to a installed game patyched to version 1.20 or unpatched?
2) Should I apply the nocd patch? Because it changes the fs2.exe file...
3) Should I be highlighting "PXO" and "Multig" in the options page for multiplayer or just one of them?
4) Is fs2net the only way to get multiplayer matching in fs2? PXO is totally dead and there are no other communities?
5) what is tom's build? is it v1.20? will it work for singleplayer or only multiplayer?

6) Last question for singleplayer game - I maxed out the Brightness option to 5.00 but everything is still too dark :/ I also maxe dout my CRT monitors brightness and ocntracts - still too dark. Anyone can suggest how to boost the Gamma? (I tried changing the reigistry value above 5.00 with regedit but it didnt stay at 10.00).

thanks if anyone can help...

zoomgirl

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 09:03:17 AM »
Welcome aboard. :)

The biggest peoblem you're facing is that retail FS2 currently can't play anything except games on IP because PXO was taken down years ago. Tom's old build is basically v1.20 with support for multiplayer via FS2NetD added. FS2_Open on the other hand is an attempt to upgrade the entire engine. As a result it will have better graphics but is a little more unstable.

1) I've always said you should patch but I'm not certain whether the 1.2 tables are the currently validated ones so I'll wait for someone else to answer that one.
2) The noCD patch will have no effect for the reason I state above. Neither can actually use PXO.
3) To be honest I have no idea what the first multidata option does (I know what the right hand one does but not the one directly above PXO). I always have it turned on.
4) Some people have reported success using the virtual private network connection program hamachi but I don't know the set up details for this or if you'll find more or less players than on FS2NetD.
6) Is FS2 the only game that is too dark? Cause you could always try setting the gamma higher for everything using the Display Control Panel >> Settings >> Advanced and poking around on there for the gamma settings. My ATI card allows me to specify hotkeys that allow me to change the gamma in-game.

To get online quickly your probably better off starting with Tom's Old Build as there is less that can go wrong there. One you're up and running we can sort out what is causing the FS2_Open crash.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 09:54:17 AM »
1.2 is validated, same as 1.0 :)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 10:10:53 AM »
In that case you should definitely patch.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »
see This thread for more information.