Author Topic: Cylon Electronic Warfare  (Read 893 times)

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
Cylon Electronic Warfare
« on: March 28, 2006, 08:31:27 PM »
I'm here to essentially be heretical. You were warned.

Cylon EW capablities are crap.

During the miniseries the Cylons were either unable or unwilling to jam Colonial signals, despite the obvious benefits to their surprise attack. In fact they demonstrated a distinct lack of electronic warfare savvy; they totally missed the trick Apollo pulled with Galactica's EMP coils (one which Colonial opponents had always seen through in wargames!), they were jammed at the critical moment by Helo and the gear aboard a Raptor, and so assumed it destroyed when it was not. They failed to detect the Raptor as it reentered or took off from a planet they were bombarding.

And it keeps getting worse. Despite innumerable times where jamming Colonial DRADIS or comms would have been advantageous in the series, they have not. We have no indication that any Cylon ship even has the capability to jam enemy signals! The sole instance of Cylon EW so far has been in Hand of God, where they "jammed" the missiles launched at a base. It appears likely these were not even in fact truly jammed. The huge course deviation makes it much more likely they were dependant on guidance commands passed from the launching Viper's DRADIS, and the base simply detected the guidance commands and broadcast different ones, using their much more powerful transmitters to "drown out" the commands being passed from the launching Vipers. To make matters worse, it is necessary to consider that these missiles were launched from the Mark IIs, and as such the missiles could well themselves be escapees from the starboard flight pod museum. And even in that episode, the Colonials demonstrated they held the upper hand in EW with the fact that their Raptors were able to observe while themselves remaining totally unseen by the Cylons!

Thus, I submit that the Cylons having impressive electronic warfare capablities is a myth.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
Cylon Electronic Warfare
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 10:09:19 PM »
Quote from: ngtm1r
they were jammed at the critical moment by Helo and the gear aboard a Raptor, and so assumed it destroyed when it was not. They failed to detect the Raptor as it reentered or took off from a planet they were bombarding.

You make an interesting and rather compelling case; but this is the only part I wanted to comment on.

[spoiler]BOOMER was flying this raptor...a Cylon sleeper agent...I think it's entirely probable that the Cylons LET it through...in fact, that point is rather vital to a minor plot point of the preview campaign story.[/spoiler]

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Cylon Electronic Warfare
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 06:38:52 AM »
Quote from: ngtm1r
In fact they demonstrated a distinct lack of electronic warfare savvy; they totally missed the trick Apollo pulled with Galactica's EMP coils (one which Colonial opponents had always seen through in wargames!)

More like "it was just a theory we toyed with in war college, but.. it never used to work during war games, the Cylon's would see right through and destroy the targets anyway."

I think if I were a Cylon infiltrator, I would think there were better things to investigate, than tactics some fighter pilot trainees came up with, that didn't even work in the simulator. Besides, I doubt it's very common for civillian passenger liners to be carrying around a couple of military-grade EMP generators.