Author Topic: Build issues?  (Read 5511 times)

Road_Dancer

• View Profile
Build issues?
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:37:38 AM »
Ok, so, here's a little story for you. If you want to skip to the end to the actual point of this post, feel free, this is just context to explain my confusion.

I finally decied to re-install FS2 after getting back into the space groove via Homeworld 2, and all is good. Then I decide to check out the 1/2 remembered community upgrades. On the way, I discover Tom's build. I install that, and all is good, FS2 runs, and I'm happy.

Then I discover the SCP, and of course, my reaction is "shiney!". So I download 3.6.7 and the mediaVPs, and that works! All is good in the world, I'm playing FS2 with graphics that actully look like a modern game.

So then I start to think to myself, "hmmmm, if I get my friends together, we can do some multiplayer..." And after some tweaking, I get the multiplayer options running, but of course, I'm running the SCP, and get hacked tables. But they're in a MOD folder as Karajorma suggested, so I figure I'll try and run with the No Mod option, still hacked tables... Ok, so I'll try Tom's Build... hmmm... that crashed...

So I shrug, confused, but not all that bothered, what's a few hacked tables between friends? So I shrug and decide that I feel ready to try the 3.8 and CVS builds. They download fine, and install fine. but when I try and run them. Nothing. Not a sausage. Change the launcher back to the 3.6.7 and \mediavps, no problems, try any other build. Nothing. Oh well, I've got that Torrent downloaded, so I'll try that, after all, it's supposed to work straight out of the 'box' so to speak. Ok, that doesn't load either. Drop in the 3.6.7 files, fires up first time.

Tom's Build has stopped working on my setup, and while 3.6.7 runs perfectly, I can't get anyother build to even start. Do I need to have seperate installs? Last thing last night I removed my ATI drivers and installed the Omega drivers, which did make the openGL graphics much smoother (something screwy with the ATI colour depth in openGL, I never thought the Omega drivers would be so much better), will this make a difference to actually running the new builds? To be honest, I'm not all that bothered about Toms' build, but I justwanted to try and get some pilot stats up to avoid that 30 second delay!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 09:45:06 AM by Road_Dancer »
Flight Officer Abraham Bishop
212th Strike Wing - \'Nexus\' Squadron
Based on the GTD Asgard of the 8th Fleet

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 09:58:03 AM »
You absolutely do not need seperate installs. I've been running everything out of the same folder for over a year.

1) Tom's build probably failed because it was coming across command line options it didn't understand right? It crashed out saying something like

Error: Unrecogzined command line parameter -allslev
File:H:\_FS2_DEV\3 VPK\code\Cmdline\cmdline.cpp
Line: 393

That's a fairly longstanding bug in the launcher which I put into Mantis a while back. Just run the launcher with a standard FSO build and turn off all the options using the easy setup >> Default FS2 (all features off) setting.

Tom's build should now work.

2) What happens if you run a CVS build with no mods? What if you run them with the 3.6.7 media VPs?

Road_Dancer

• View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »
1) I'll try that, thanks.

2)Absolutley nothing! I click 'run', get an hourglass for perhaps 1/2 a second, and then nothing. The best I've managed, is with one of the newer builds, is a splash screen before a crash, but that was throwing out exceptions while loading. I've tried running a debug build, and according to the log, it appeared to load ok, got to the openAL sound load, and just stops. No error, just stops. I installed the latest openAL after seeing that, but it's made no difference, and running a Creative Labs card anyway, I've never had any open AL errors yet.

Oh, and while I mention it, the movies do odd things, I get a lot of mode switching, which then usually dumps me back at the desktop, with the Freespace2 taskbar blinking. Clicking on that retrns me to FS2, and a widescreen postage stamp sized movie playing in the top left corner of the screen. I once had it play correctly, but I can't remember if I had changed any options. For me, movie playback isn't a concern (I'm happy just to disable the movies as I've completed the campaign several times), but as I want to get some friends involved, I'd like them to be able to have the full FS2 experience.

Kara, thanks for your help, as always...

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:29:47 AM »
Look in your main FS2 folder for a file called errorlog.txt. Delete it and when you next try running FS2_Open give me the first 5 lines of the newly created version.

I can't promise I'll be able to figure out what is going on for you but I should be able to help somewhat hopefully.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 10:35:07 AM by karajorma »

Road_Dancer

• View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:49:34 AM »
Thanks, will do...

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
Build issues?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 07:15:45 PM »
media vps CANNOT be in the main folder, they must be in a mod folder, and when you play SCP, open the media vps as a mod in the launcher... Toms build should work then. If not, make another second install for toms build. :)

Road_Dancer

• View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:33:51 AM »
Yeh, I've got the media vps in seperate folders, so that's not the problem. I didn't get a chance to try anything last night, I had a friend moving in last night that I didn't know about until last night! Ahhhh the joys of breakups! LOL

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 07:02:39 PM »
make a second install (if you have the space) for toms, thats what i did when i had the same problem

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 07:54:16 PM »
I really hate that as a solution. It's just a huge waste of HD space in my opinion.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 07:56:05 PM »
but its a working solution kara, if you cant find any other way, its a last resort

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 12:10:59 AM »
Thing is I can't see any reason why it would work that installing properly in the first place wouldn't also solve.

Road_Dancer

• View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 06:45:09 PM »
==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
Passed cmdline options:
  -2d_poof  
  -cache_bitmaps  
  -decals  
  -env  
  -jpgtga  
  -mipmap  
  -missile_lighting  
  -glow  
  -nomotiondebris  
  -spec  
  -no_vsync  
  -ballistic_gauge  
  -orbradar  
  -rearm_timer  
  -targetinfo  
  -snd_preload  
  -mod mediavps
  -nomovies  
  -fps  
Building file index...
Searching root 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\mv_amodelspatch.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\mv_amodelspatch2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\mv_befix.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\mv_core.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\mv_effects.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\mv_models.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\mv_music.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\mv_textures.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\mediavps\root_fs2.vp'
Searching root 'D:\games\freespace2\'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\root_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\smarty_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\sparky_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\stu_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\tango1_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\tango2_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\tango3_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'D:\games\freespace2\warble_fs2.vp'
Found 20 roots and 9932 files.
AutoLang: Language auto-detection successful...
Setting language to English
soundcard = EAX
Initializing OpenAL...

errorlog
fs2_open_d-20060323 caused an Access Violation in module ntdll.dll at 001b:7c9106c3.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 3/29/2006 19:40:08.

I tried running it with no-sound and no mods, and it actully gets to the intormovie, before appearing to lock-up in some manner. I use a Sound Blaster Audigy if that helps, and 3.6.7 runs fine in d3d and EAX modes

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 07:03:51 PM »
Looks like it's problems with OpenAL. Have you actually installed OpenAL?

Road_Dancer

• View Profile
Build issues?
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 11:26:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have, as I wanted to avoid problems like this. I'll give it another go tho'.