Author Topic: Hacked Tables....  (Read 6184 times)

Road_Dancer

• View Profile
Hacked Tables....
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2006, 09:19:17 AM »
Taylor, that's great news. How long do you guesstimate it'll take to code the changes?
Flight Officer Abraham Bishop
212th Strike Wing - \'Nexus\' Squadron
Based on the GTD Asgard of the 8th Fleet

taylor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://icculus.org/~taylor
Hacked Tables....
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »
Quote from: Road_Dancer
Taylor, that's great news. How long do you guesstimate it'll take to code the changes?

I've been coding on it all since November.  But I work on a LOT of things at the same time so it's almost impossible for me to guess when any one thing will get done.

I've been helping mods, working on the OS X version, and bug fixing far too much to do much with any of the new code of the past couple of months though.  I'm taking a couple-month break starting this week to basically focus on all of the other code projects and not do any bug fixing or helping out mods.  I still have to finish the PXO rewrite, upgrade it all to support new SCP features, finish all of the new SCP features (I'm basically the only one working on network stuff now), then test it all for compatibility with retail.  After that I'll start folding all of the new compatibility and auto-detection features in and have much better mod support as well.

Before I get to that point though, I have to:
- finish the new cross-platform launcher for SCP
- finish the new pilot file code
- put the final touches on the new input code
- complete the new multi-api sound code
- finish conversion of OGL code to runtime lib loading
- add final env mapping support to OGL
- work on new SCP installer some more

After that I'll get to PXO and all of the nasty network code again. :)
If I can focus on it then it shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to bang out the new code changes.  Perhaps a month of testing after that, then it will get folded back into public CVS.  I'll want to make sure that Tom is squared away on all of the changes too so that it will be easier for him to maintain his build.  I also have to integrate PXO support back into the icculus.org versions of FS1 and FS2.

Oh, and I have Tom's changes too.  I made a diff of those so I still need time to wade through those and pick out everything that SCP should also support.  I've gone through it quickly already though and there is nothing really strange in there so it should only take a day or two to figure out what I want to do with that stuff.

Oh, and I have a business to run too so that will take up a lot of my time as well.

Basically, if you can't tell already, I don't have a friggin clue when the new code is going to be done. :biggrin1:

Road_Dancer

• View Profile
Hacked Tables....
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 10:31:19 AM »
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............
Whoa...
Dude, I'm seriously impressed! I don't know many people that would take all that on, even if they're getting paid, let alone as a volunteer!
I think that the SCP is one of the most impressive collaborative projects I've come across in 'teh InterWebtron', and you guys deserve some serious kudos.
Flight Officer Abraham Bishop
212th Strike Wing - \'Nexus\' Squadron
Based on the GTD Asgard of the 8th Fleet

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hacked Tables....
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 10:36:59 AM »
Taylor's a real machine especially when it comes to bug fixing. :)

Keleus

• Putinfilaĉo
    • View Profile
Hacked Tables....
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 06:18:34 PM »
Wow, taylor. That's quite an undertaking. I would help If I had any programming knowledge, but maybe you should consider tossing the idea of helping around to people you know?

BTW, i did mean host-side not server side. (I was thinking of it in terms of client, server, listing server)
keleus@epicenter.groundzero:~$ fortune -lo > $FORUM/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=$OPENTHREAD

taylor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://icculus.org/~taylor
Hacked Tables....
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 07:22:07 PM »
Quote from: Keleus
BTW, i did mean host-side not server side. (I was thinking of it in terms of client, server, listing server)

I figured that's what you meant.  I used the same terminology not too long ago, but it got too confusing so I went with "client, host, server", which better corresponds with Volition terminology anyway.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
Hacked Tables....
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006, 07:34:27 PM »
Quote from: taylor
Oh, and I have Tom's changes too.  I made a diff of those so I still need time to wade through those and pick out everything that SCP should also support.  I've gone through it quickly already though and there is nothing really strange in there so it should only take a day or two to figure out what I want to do with that stuff.

This is good news :) Hopefully the dudes at HLP will update the build identifier when they come out with a new build so it tells us what build their using rather the the build that included the pxo code was released. It would help letting us know what missions would be compatible with the oldest build in the game, because... they keep comming out with more and more sexps. And I recommend to all those who plan on making multiplayer-SCP-missions to write down in the mission description what build you made the mission in to confirm compatibility.

Tom's features is one of the reasons I like his build (along with stabibility and other things) so since we are going to see his features in SCP builds you will find me on it more often. :)