Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 997 times)

OutofStep351

• View Profile
Two Questions
« on: March 19, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »
Is this project still active? And if so, will this be a stand alone game or will it require Unreal to play?
"They put angels in the electric chair,
No one knew or no one cared,
Burning stars lit up their hair and crawled to heaven on golden stairs
God bless our dead marines."
-Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tralala Band

Primus

• Lusus Naturae
    • View Profile
    • http://aeoncube.com/
Two Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:06:42 PM »
AFAIK, dead. :(

Imperator

• Imperator has conquered!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cylonbase.com/
Two Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 01:27:04 PM »
Dead, damn! Just when I got real hyped up as well...
"Reality is Cylon technology obviously outstrips our own."

Selectah

• View Profile
Two Questions
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:07:27 AM »
Alrighty then.

While one shouldn't really get worked up just because yet another overhyped, understaffed, not-very-well-planned project is prononunced "dead" without releasing a single demo, vid or even screencap, there is something about these pipe dream projects that annoys the crap outta me, every time. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that 99% of these projects were never serious in the first place, but merely fantasies and oh-wouldn't-this-be-nice dreams. Still, while it could be argued that these are classical examples of reach exceeding grasp -- with far too little talent or motivation involved to even get the project started (disregarding, perhaps, a project logo created with a cracked Photoshop) -- these neverending DOA cases tend to lower the expectations (and by extension, standards) of the entire community as a whole.

So far I've seen too many FreeSpace projects pronounced dead to even bother to count, and the ones that actually are out there have been in the making for, what, eight years now? And they're still not done. Eight years, folks. The Second World War didn't last that long.

And don't give me that "yeah, but dude we're, like, not getting paid and that and we do this for, like, fun, dude" defense. Either one creates stuff or one doesn't. Period.

Sorry for the rant.

~Selectah
everything above this line is utter nonsense

Imperator

• View Profile
Two Questions
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 02:49:07 PM »
I can see your point but I disagree on some respects.

There's no need to be so critical about it, sometimes these things aren't thought out and they do die, but you have to take into account that maybe some of these people actually worked their arses off and they couldn't help what happened.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 02:52:44 PM by Imperator »

Selectah

• View Profile
Requiem for "FreeSpace: Close Quarters"?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »
Ya, okay then.

However, if these people (or the one person) actually did work their arses (or arse, if that's the case) off, there ought to exist a wealth of material, a stupendous amount of data and code and design slips and storyline tidbits and models and levels and background info and missions and project guidelines, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, no? Okay then, where is this material? I'm not referring to FreeSpace: Close Quarters specifically, but to 99% of all OMG-this-is-like-the-best-TC-in-the-universe-dude projects in general.

Now, if this humongous treasure trove of code/pics/data/GFX/etc exists somewhere, no-one in their right mind -- after having invested seemingly hundreds, if not thousands of hours in the project -- would just outright delete it, just like that. They'd pass the material on to the others involved in the project. Unless, of course, it was never there in the first place. Read; perhaps it really was all just a fantasy. A spectre. A figment of the imagination. A pipe dream. A hope. A wish.

So, I guess the long and the short of it is that I must respectfully inform you, dear Imperator, that I feel compelled to disagree with you; there is a need to be critical about these things. It is the inconvenient truth that most all of these projects are nothing much more than pot fantasies. It is unfortunately yet more tragic evidence that it's seemingly all talk and no walk.

However, I could -- naturally -- be completely wrong about all of this. I have yet to be proven so.

Sorry for yet another rant,
~Selectah

Imperator

• View Profile
Two Questions
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 04:09:35 PM »
I wasn't talking about this project specifically, saying that they worked themsleves down. Any old dullard can see that they obviously didn't think very hard about what they were undertaking. I mean to say that a minority of these little hype projects are furiously worked upon and end up starting to capitulate, it is a shame.

You are very correct though, 9 times out of 10 these little projects worked up by the loose groups of school mates end up just being a disapointing load on the community.

Selectah

• View Profile
Two Questions
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:17:55 AM »
Ya, not only that, but they usually disappear without a trace. No plot. No screenies. No plans. No nothing. Except that logo, of course.:blah:

Cordially,
~Selectah