Author Topic: help with wireless  (Read 4411 times)

southernpride

• almost banned
    • View Profile
help with wireless
« on: January 06, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »
i am tryin to fix this labtop for a friend and it has a wireless card in it (broadcom  
wireless g) it came wiht it all driveers r updated everything is installed but it isnt picking up the signal form my router iv tried using my other usb wireless thing and plugging that into the labtop and that works great but the card in it doesnt work iv also got it workin hardwired and everything works fine but the wireless card any advice on what the problem might be would be very helpfull as i have tried everythign i can think of thanks for ur help

Moonsword

• View Profile
help with wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:07:46 PM »
First of all, please try using punctuation, since I'm having problems reading your post.

I don't know about Broadcom, but at least one type of D-Link wireless card has to have the drivers installed and then the card itself put in.  Otherwise, it doesn't work correctly.  While this isn't the same problem, it could be related.

Second, have you made sure the router and card are compatible?  Third, what OS are you running?

southernpride

• almost banned
    • View Profile
help with wireless
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:34:13 PM »
well the drivers are installed
the router is linksys and i have no idea how to check compatibility  and i runnin xp home on both comps

Moonsword

• View Profile
help with wireless
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 02:02:35 PM »
*frowns*

Does the card show any signal at all?

And could you post the brands and model numbers of _all_ components of this setup, the wireless card, the router, and the USB wireless whatever.  There may be something online I can help you find.

Jonathan_S47

• Linux User
    • View Profile
help with wireless
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 12:16:53 AM »
Some wireless settings will tell the card not to connect to an AP if it is not is not in its list of networks.

What is the model number of your wireless router?
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned.

southernpride

• almost banned
    • View Profile
help with wireless
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 03:49:00 AM »
Thank u all for the advice i hate to admit that the problem was "cough" (wireless button was not turned on) "cough"  my own problem and that those labtop makers from hp should make that button in a more easily viewable place (its a tiny black button on a black background)
anyway thanks for yalls advice and that labtop made me look pretty stupid

Hammer

• Easy Like Sunday Morning
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
help with wireless
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 06:08:22 AM »
:lol:
:drevil: