Author Topic: Learning FRED 2  (Read 4776 times)

Shadow256

• Cpt \"Shadow\"
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« on: March 15, 2006, 10:46:50 PM »
Anyone know where I can get some tutorials for FRED 2?  I wanna start learning to map and make my own stuff.  The more basic the better this is way different than HL2 mapping. Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Nvm I found out for myself.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 06:24:01 AM by Shadow256 »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 09:13:10 AM »
If you only found the walkthrough I suggest looking at my FAQ after you've done it. I cover a few things the walkthrough doesn't explain.

Shadow256

• Cpt \"Shadow\"
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 03:03:23 AM »
Actually I've already found my way to your FAQ, thanks anyway.  I do have another question though I was messing around with big capitol ships and when I start a mission I made the dont ever fire their beam lasers.  How do I get them to use them?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:23:12 AM »
Beam-free-all SEXP :) If you're using FRED2_Open there is also a tickbox in the mission specs editor that will unlock all ships.

Like I advise in the FAQ actually do the walkthrough that comes with FRED (you'll find it in the help). It covers a whole lot of stuff you really need to know in order to make missions. Simply reading it is useful but if you do it you'll probably save yourself hours of wondering how to do something later on.

Shadow256

• Cpt \"Shadow\"
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 10:31:25 PM »
Thanks again karajorma.  I'm almost done with both the walkthroughs.  I had one problem with the advanced walkthrough though.  At the part where it tells you to cap one of the ships waypoint speeds it doesn't work.  I have it capped at 10m/s but when I save the map and run it it still goes at full speed.  I've double checked all the ship names and SEXP's and they match what the walkthough says so im not sure what to do.  Also where do I get FRED2 Open? I already have FS2 open.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 12:37:32 AM »
Due to there being bugs in the FS2_Open code at the time an official FS2_Open 3.6.7 was never released. If you look in the CVS Builds thread on HLP's Recent Builds forum (inside the SCP forum) you can pick up the latest beta version of it but you'll also need a corresponding beta version of FS2_Open too.

Another choice is to try this build. It was released about 10 days after 3.6.7 so it might be compatible with the version of FS2_Open you have. Then again it might not. It's so old I've forgotten :)

Qwer

• (F)l33t Freak
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 08:20:45 AM »
Beam-Free-All sux. =P
I'm using this SEXP/tickbox quite seldom. I prefer controlled fire-beam and set battles with several waypoint patches. This looks very nice when you've got several capships on both sides and add more hitpoints to them. :nod:
http://www.freespace.pl <- Polish Freespace Forum and {303} Squadron site

Spirit_Weaver

• Lucifer
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 04:17:51 PM »
Can someone give me a link to any newer Fred than the origanl compatable with toms.  I don't really want 2 dl one and find out that it wont work.:eek2:

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 05:00:14 PM »
Which link you use is dependant on which build of FS2_Open you run.

The most recent CVS builds can be found here. They will only work if you also download a similarly recent build of FS2_Open.

The build I link to above is compatible with FS2_Open 3.6.7 but you will need to download and install OpenAL.

Spirit_Weaver

• Lucifer
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »
can u send me a link to a compatable build for fs2_open

"The most recent CVS builds can be found here. They will only work if you also download a similarly recent build of FS2_Open. "
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 06:07:52 PM by Spirit_Weaver »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Learning FRED 2
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 07:43:35 PM »
It's available on the same thread. Choose either the redmenace build or the P4 optimised one if you have a P4 or Athlon based PC.