Author Topic: Mod progress  (Read 25199 times)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 03:53:34 PM »
Let me put it this way. Asking us where you can get the alpha is like asking a parent to leave the curtains open so you can get a better view of their 8 year old getting dressed.

Sharrpe95

• Commander
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
it was worth a shot... but comparing it to an 8 year old getting dressed? Have something to tell us karajorma? :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »
Yeah. That like the parent would, I feel a barely controllable urge to smack someone in the mouth. :p

And I wasn't even involved with the team until after the leak. So my response is probably milder than those whose hard work was leaked.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »
Pain.  Lots of pain.

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2007, 05:31:20 PM »
Quote from: Sharrpe95;57820
it was worth a shot... but comparing it to an 8 year old getting dressed? Have something to tell us karajorma? :)

No, it wasn't worth a shot. You're lucky if you don't get serious whiplash from the torrent of hell that will descend upon you if Omni sees this.
Either that, or you're lucky you just don't get banned.
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »
Actually getting banned is substantially less painful then facing the wrath, pestilence and fiery brimstone that seeing this would summon from Omni
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dodger

• TCB-CSS
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »
*me grabs popcorn and awaits the arrival*
forum rule NR1 " NEVER MENTION THE ALPHA L... !", too painfull for the Devs and Fans!

The Cylon Base

*signature by BoneZ

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »
Well to be fair I wouldn't have joined the team if it wasn't for the leak. So maybe it wasn't all bad. :)

(Waits for a chorus of "Oh yes it was" from the rest of the team) :D

Sharrpe95

• Commander
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007, 06:41:05 PM »
I didn't even realize that the alpha was released or leaked so long ago (usually alpha and beta tests are released to a few people to try out and give feedback). I do not know how it was leaked, by who, or how. So now I guess I know its a very touchy subject with you guys. Didn't realize that would cause such controversy. Well, I guess its good to be oblivious every once in a while.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crixx

• Give the order.
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007, 07:11:14 PM »
I've got a leak in my trousers.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2007, 07:17:07 PM »
Basically what happened is that someone came onto these forums saying that he could help us publicise BtRL at a convention he would be attending. He assured everyone that he would retain possession of the only copy of the mod and would put it up on the big screen for everyone to see.

The team then worked their collective asses off to make the game playable within a month. When this guy returned he mentioned that he had had a hard time duplicating the CDs quickly enough but had given out at least 60 copies of the alpha. I found this rather odd at the time but as I wasn't on the team and I thought they were close I assumed that they were okay with this.

A few months later the guy posted a link to a torrent with the contents of the CD on it. Apparently versions of game were leaking out anyway so he thought the solution was to make the leak even bigger (note that to this day we have not found a single version of the leak that didn't come from him directly). They guy also claimed that we were taking too long with the demo so he thought it should go up on the net.

If you're wondering why you're not playing the demo now this is why. Following the leak the team had to take fairly strong measures to prevent a repeat. The bronze and silver team member badges appeared with only silver ranked members having access to the FTP. We stopped taking newbies on for most tasks unless they could prove themselves to be highly skilled in a field we needed and also trustworthy.

So that's why we find it a touchy subject. Not only were the team kicked in the nuts after doing a lot of hard work on the alpha, the problems caused by the leak resulted in an even longer development time for the mod.

Unsurprisingly requests for the alpha are not viewed happily.

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2007, 07:46:40 PM »
... And Now You know, now never speak of it again

*cues hypnotoad*

"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dodger

• TCB-CSS
    • View Profile