Author Topic: Mod progress  (Read 26198 times)

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Mod progress
« on: February 26, 2006, 08:18:47 PM »
Most of the work has been concentrated on models and balancing the ships. There's been a lot of multiplayer testing, trying to get the ships all balanced in multiplayer so you don't have to relearn the minutae of flying a Viper between single player and multiplayer. There are some 10 basic multiplayer missions done. (Deathmatch around Galactica, deathmatch around Ragnar, King of the Hill, etc)

The storyline has been under heavy scrutiny as of late, and is going through a reworking based on the input from the rest of the team. Once that's done, we've got at least 3 very experienced mission designers who are either already on board or have already offered to help. It's very difficult to take a TV series focused almost entirely on human drama, and move it into a game based entirely in space; we're taking that part very seriously. Once we're satisfied with the storyline, the FREDding and voice acting will start.

There's no *official* release date; we've had some discussion in the internal about it. Since the alpha was leaked, the team feels that an official release should focus even more on quality, and things shouldn't be glossed over to just a deadline. Generally, though, the more people helping with the mod, the faster it will go. [/shameless plug for help wanted thread] ;)

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 08:37:47 PM »
Thanks for the update u guys fraking rock:biggrin1:

Course i am still gonna be suffering BSG withdrawals after next Friday...  Need Battlestar, my precious Battlestar:nervous:

Do you think we could sticky this and make it the intro thread? for nugget Qs we need someplace for basic Q&A instead of having new threads with same content.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 08:43:54 PM by StarSlayer »
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

timbo1138

• View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:31:01 AM »
The storyline has been under heavy scrutiny as of late, and is going through a reworking based on the input from the rest of the team
I'm guessing that in 2 weeks time you'll be able to really lock down the storyline and stuff, since you won't be having new bits of info added each week. And then you'll have a break of months and months to get stuck into the mod.

Although that's not entirely a good thing... *Sobs at the impending season end*
"There must be some way outta here,
Said the joker to the thief.
There\'s too much confusion,
I can\'t get no relief..."

All of this has happened before...

DW-TNT78

• View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:06:50 PM »
Could you give us an update where this project is at the moment?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 02:47:18 PM »
Quite a few models, Fair bit of the tabling. Very little in the way of actual missions.

aonomus

• View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 04:08:17 PM »
Still can't wait, keep it up!

DW-TNT78

• View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 06:20:37 PM »
Any Idea when we can bring something like squadwar back to life?
If the models and the tables are done maybe you can first release a ,ultyplay only mod and later on release the actual game.
I know for a fact that loads of peeps would love to play squadwar again :)

Keep up the good work!!!!

sir monster

• Zombie
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 07:38:16 PM »
Quote from: DW-TNT78
If the models and the tables are done maybe you can first release a ,ultyplay only mod and later on release the actual game.

Keep up the good work!!!!

yeah make like a multiplayer demo or something.. hah i wish.:lol: :lol:

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
Mod progress
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 08:07:02 PM »
Please put dumfire in multiplayer :nervous: :nod:

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 08:10:33 PM »
With all due respect to the DW guys, this is BTRL. Not a project to bring Freespace multiplayer back to life. If you want Freespace-like multiplayer...go play Freespace 2.

meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvada
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 08:13:05 PM »
Quote from: DW-TNT78

Thats a great idea! For a good demo you need only one or two missions including only the finished modells. AND for multiplayer that one-two mission is enough to try coop, and the already existed fighter modells for TvsT and dogfight. Dont forget! Time is needed for the site development and multiplayer debug! If we want it to work smoothly, there should be something around to work with.
Also, this is a way to release the game early and still keep up the work for the much more complex final one. And as it was said... once something is on the net, only god can erase it.
  DW-Royal_Guard
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
Mod progress
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »
Quote from: WMCoolmon
With all due respect to the DW guys, this is BTRL. Not a project to bring Freespace multiplayer back to life. If you want Freespace-like multiplayer...go play Freespace 2.

Yea im pushing the dumbfire a little too much arent i, sorry.

meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvada
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »
Quote from: '[dw
-hunter']Yea im pushing the dumbfire a little too much arent i, sorry.

I see no problem here. There is a reason for FS2 being the best spacesim. There must be some freedom in this matter. Imagine that the lord of the rings adopted to movie word by word... Could you pay ten times more for the ticket, and sit 2 days in the cinema to watch it??? The main purpuse of a game is to have fun! The main purpuse of multiplayer to have more and more fun, even after you already played the singleplayer 3 times. If it can remain "as in the show", thats better, but not the primary target. One year before everybody would be upset about the idea to settle the fuggitives on a cursed mudball and abandon Galactica...they did it in the session finale...SO??
DW-Royal_Guard
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »
Watch the spoilers in general forum posts please!

DW-TNT78

• View Profile
Mod progress
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 09:47:55 PM »
Check the posts in the FS2 section of this forrum http://www.globalgamerz.net/ffbb/index.php?sid=0fbc1bdb6bf868a6a6ee2ce4ad175314
I been talking to some old vets and I have 5-8 peeps saying they would love to play again so maybe we can make this work??