Author Topic: The Ask a Modeler Thread.  (Read 39334 times)

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
    • http://www.kewltoyz.com
The Ask a Modeler Thread.
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »
Quote from: Star Dragon;106234
Scooby Doo on HLP is the one to ask as he's a glass/cockpit expert...

This is Getter Robo G...

Thanks m8, was trying to get someones attention during the holiday weekend.
Got slammed with "Honey Do" lists, so I ended up putting in a new sink, fridge, lights, and floor tiling for a kitchen then doing a BBQ for 30 people over the weekend :p

Scooby gave me a clue over there, more drudging through TS to do over what I had lol!
Thats ok though, I keep adding more detail to the thing as I go since I have to keep doing it over and over. I wish I could just pull data and names from a text into the heirarchy editor, gets a bit old copying and remaking lights and groups over and over. From what I gathered, I need to combine these parts so I don't have a subsystem for every piece anyhow and I can start messing with the bump mapping a little on less textures as well. Figured out what the environment maps did with some oddball images, freaked me out seeing faces looking back out of the geometry! I won't be doing that for the models, looks like what they did for that ghosted Raider someone made available.
Could be interesting for the Stealth aspect of these ships to use a starfield environment map as camouflage though, but they really eat up so much memory.
I think since I tried a little cheat having all of the parts mapped to the same bmp it corrupted the bmp file. Windows will open it and view it but PSP7 & Lithunwrap says the texture file is invalid for some reason.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:48:24 PM by KewlToyZ »
Nothing bothers me I\'m already disturbed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
    • http://www.kewltoyz.com
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2008, 12:22:28 AM »
FYI The nose of the model should point to the positive X axis in Rhino.
Positive Z is of course up.
Nothing bothers me I\'m already disturbed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OmegaUltima

• View Profile
    • http://ultimaworks.com
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:46 PM »
I've had an interest in modding as far back as I can remember but I've refrained from trying to leap into things until I was sure that I was a little confident in my abilities, like modeling and programming as examples.

A number of years have passed and I'm feeling pretty confident enough to try making a mod. The main problem I'm facing right now though is that I haven't the slightest clue on how to go about modding Freespace open.

For all those vertain modders, what would be the best way to go about begining a new mod and how or where would be the best place to start? I slightly remember someone mentioning that making a few Freespace missions in Fred is a great place to start to get into things, but how would I go about doing things like importing ships to Freespace as well as customising the programming?

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2009, 01:43:17 AM »
Each one of those topics are covered a bit more in detail here (search is wonky) but do it via google and you'll probably find old threads/tutorials.

Plus the FS2 WIKI on site.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php

Most importantly you used the word "MOD" which can mean a LOT of things.

I would work on making one model you feel comfortable with displaying, and then make a table entry for it by copying an existing fighter and convert your textures to (shuddup peanut gallery!) 8 bit PCX's for TESTING and then use FRED to get it in game.

If you can see it and when you fire on it, blow it up with no crash. then you are ready for other things like back ground images, or custom animations for briefings and a slew of other "stuff".

It all depends on the scope of what you want to do/mod.

Are you staying in the FS2 universe, are you going to do a TC. Are you just making a few new ship additions? Are yo going to just use existign assets to make a small FS2 mission? Are you going to have voice acting?

Regardless making an OUTLINE of your goal and steps to get there is helpful. it also tells people in what areas specifically you want/need help in...

Being vague is a good way of having peopel just flip by and not respond.
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

OmegaUltima

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2009, 04:53:41 AM »
Thanks, Star Dragon. I'll grab my shovel and have a look through the archives and see what's there. I'm just plerplexed that it wasn't stickied or on the first page so I figured it hadn't have been asked. I'll check around next time though.

I didn't notice I was being too vague, but that's true - I should've included information on what kind of a mod I was persuing rather than just saying a 'mod'.  

The mod in question is planned on being a TC for an original universe using the Freespace engine, which of course would need the whole box and dice; original ships, effects, weapons and so on. The mod's in planning stages at the moment, I'm still putting bits inside the story as well as finding out how I want the gameplay to be like, no idea on things such as voice acting just yet, I plan to work on them a bit later.

One of the main questions I suppose at the moment is the extent of how open ended the programming side of the Freespace engine is. I've seen a number of new things done such as cockpits mentioned prior, so I was wondering if there was a certain limit of what could be done.

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2009, 09:03:23 AM »
Starting a new project might not be a good idea.

I think you should first try to join another project and help to complete it.
After getting some experience and taking a look how another project works and where the prolblems were/are, you have a way better understanding of what you can and what you can't do in your own new project.

And a nice side effect of joining another project is getting to know other modders, who might join your project later. :)
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

OmegaUltima

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
Quote from: DaBrain;117783
Starting a new project might not be a good idea.

I think you should first try to join another project and help to complete it.
After getting some experience and taking a look how another project works and where the prolblems were/are, you have a way better understanding of what you can and what you can't do in your own new project.

And a nice side effect of joining another project is getting to know other modders, who might join your project later. :)

That's probably the best thing to do actually. I might have a look around for any groups in current need of a modeler/animator.

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2009, 02:20:30 AM »
Hi there! I need a hand with this...

so I've been texturing/uv mapping (or whatever it is) my model on blender but I have a problem now...

I've loaded chunks of the model separately so it's easy to edit and all stuff but I guess I'm using a lot of textures because now blender does not allow me to add a new texture group.. AHH please help mee!

here's a pic, where the red circule is drawed there used to be a "new" button on top of the list, but now it's gone :S

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
A good way to get a feel for FS2 is to play it! :)

Once you've seen what the base engine does then you move on to the SCP enhancements.

Loading up the B5, BSG:BTRL, and WCSaga demo will show you how the community Devs pushed those limits further.

Once you know what it truly is capable of, then you can start getting "creative" and either find work arounds to get something done, or ideas to be attempted later via new coding.

Animated models (within reason) are now possible. Steve-O proof of concept ship pack is awesome. ;)

I myself use outside models and the FS2 engine for my fanfic as well as just screwing around.
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

LOA--JK47

• Colonol Dekkers real name
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2010, 01:04:58 PM »
Why is UV mapping so annoying?

Do you guys tend to apply a general (cube etc) map then tweak it or do you break it into sections and mirror it?

Because it's the LEAST favourite part of the process for me, causing many a promising model to get canned.
Busy busy busy, no time to talk, i\'m hitting the bricks and i\'m taking a walk.........

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2010, 06:58:45 AM »
Well, I use Blender; there, I make half the model (you can mirror it later). I go over the entire model, marking seams and sharp edges, tweaking geometry further if needed. Then unwrap it all, check if there's no awkward things, fix them if there are. Then I just jigsaw-puzzle everything onto the map again, starting with the large parts, scaling everything up as much as possible.

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2010, 05:49:45 PM »
Quote from: FreeSpaceF;131428
Well, I use Blender; there, I make half the model (you can mirror it later). I go over the entire model, marking seams and sharp edges, tweaking geometry further if needed. Then unwrap it all, check if there's no awkward things, fix them if there are. Then I just jigsaw-puzzle everything onto the map again, starting with the large parts, scaling everything up as much as possible.

I do the exact same thing, the problem for me comes when you are to start making the map itself, I tend to make custom ones most of the times... (I hate MVP tiled maps).

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »
Hmm, I tried making my own maps once, and horribly failed. Tilemaps, they're not all that bad IMHO; sure, they have their limitations, but they have advantages as well. Easy applicability, updates (if you're using MVP maps), easy reskinnability too.

For tilemapping, I hardly use seams (anymore); I just apply edgesplit, select linked faces (L) and unwrap (U). Usually, you won't need two maps on a surface anyway, without some kind of sharp edge between them.

In order to make further geometry changes after the edgesplit has been applied, just select all (in editmode) and W -> Remove doubles. This will "undo" the edgesplit, making sure you're not creating odd things. But I bet y'already knew that.

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
Quote from: FreeSpaceF;131455
Hmm, I tried making my own maps once, and horribly failed. Tilemaps, they're not all that bad IMHO; sure, they have their limitations, but they have advantages as well. Easy applicability, updates (if you're using MVP maps), easy reskinnability too.

For tilemapping, I hardly use seams (anymore); I just apply edgesplit, select linked faces (L) and unwrap (U). Usually, you won't need two maps on a surface anyway, without some kind of sharp edge between them.

In order to make further geometry changes after the edgesplit has been applied, just select all (in editmode) and W -> Remove doubles. This will "undo" the edgesplit, making sure you're not creating odd things. But I bet y'already knew that.

NO frikking clue of what you are talking about, I just know 1 way of uv mapping a mesh, that being:

-Applying seams untill I get a somewhat coherent flat map.
-Stretch / Shrink the pieces as needed.
-Add special UV spots (if it's needed).
-Then export to .svn and start making the maps on gimp.

I've heard about tiling in uv, but I have no clue on what that means... I guess it's about taking spots of the mesh and throwing a base texture over it, like the ones seen on most of the models used in campaigns.

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2010, 07:27:33 PM »
Well, you should be using edgesplit for smoothing anyway. See here -> http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Blender_to_POF_Conversions#Smoothing:

In order to tile a map, you just scale up the unwrapping bigger than the texture size, like in the picture below. The map will automatically be repeated (tiled) to fill the whole surface.