Author Topic: The Ask a Modeler Thread.  (Read 30001 times)

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
The Ask a Modeler Thread.
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2010, 03:34:53 AM »
But... then you've got multiple texture files, one for each piece of mesh you unwrapped?
I thought it was needed for it to be a single file :P
mmm.. will check that later this weekend.

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »
You do have multiple textures (that's the very essence of tilemapping), but you don't need to load the same texture more than once. A lot of FS capships are mapped this way, you know :P Try opening for example capital01.pof (Orion) in PCS2.

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:51 AM »
You do have multiple textures (that's the very essence of tilemapping), but you don't need to load the same texture more than once. A lot of FS capships are mapped this way, you know :P Try opening, for example, capital01.pof (Orion) in PCS2.

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
Yeah I know, I've had to check the orion before to know which of the textures was the one for the nameplates.
But is it correct to have more than one texture?, that's what I'm refering to... I thought it was "not recommended" to do that.

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »
Having more than one texture is not a problem. Anything below 10 separate textures is probably OK. Go above that, and you're probably going to run into performance issues. For example, Steve-O's Hyperion (AKA Blue Planet's Karuna) uses somewhere close to 30 textures, and as a result, its usage incurs a far greater performance penalty than you'd think.
Proud member of the Blue Planet, Project MULTI and FreeSpace Upgrade teams
Second-in-command of the HLP support ninjas.

malcolm-john

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2011, 11:15:01 AM »

I've been seeing people ask questions about this, so I'm making this thread to let everybody know so that this forum isn't flooded with "WHY ISN'T SED1 WORKING ON WINDOWS VISTA/7".

Long story short, SED1 won't work on a 64 bit OS because the Microsoft library that SED1 uses does not work with 64 bit systems. No fix is expected anytime soon, so the only way to use it is to either run SED1 in a virtual machine in a 32-bit OS or dual-booting to a 32-bit OS. Sorry.

wachchoocup

• View Profile
The Ask a Modeler Thread
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 02:45:48 AM »
So wait, whats the actual calendar date of your b-day?

yeah, I could just not be lazy and figure it out, but Im a little groggy and its easier to just ask.  Plus, its another question