Author Topic: The Ask a Modeler Thread.  (Read 28777 times)

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities/index2.php
The Ask a Modeler Thread.
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2006, 02:07:56 PM »
It sounds like a good chunk of your troubles are arising from TS 3.2. Having briefly tried it myself, that's not surprising.
I remember one bug where if part of my model were off the side of the screen, TS would 'fold' the part that was offscreen back onto the screen, resulting in much annoyance from me. :\

From what I can tell of that pof, the reason it wouldn't fire *is* because of that role reversal.
Basically, the way you'd set up the turret in terms of pof data (ie, the turrets section in modview's editor) meant that the little cube was the arm and the turret model was the base, while according to the subobject heirarchy, it was the other way around.

Without that correct matching object heirarchy, the game probably became confused about how it was to rotate, because it was being told that both parts of the turret were the base, and both were the arm at the same time by different sources. ;)
If you now set up the heirarchy the way I showed you in the previous post, all should work correctly.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 09:00:40 PM »
Did it. The main problem was gun gun data entry dupication. For some strange reason that renders normal matching not able to fire, but if you reverse the arm and base in model view it does fire, albiet wrongly.

Now that all that confusionis out of the way I got just one more issue.

For these kind of turrets both 2 and 3 point beams have to fire simultaneously..  While I could simply use my 2 and 3 beam texures like I did for Starblazers, inthe end it does look rather silly as from the side when you look at them from a side view they appear verticle (as if the three barrels were on top of one another instead of next to each other on same plane). They work , BUT look best when seen from in front. behind, above or below a ship, side view kills the illusion...

If there a command or proceedure to make 2 extra firing points on either side of the center one, BUT to have them all fire at same time when that turret is to engage? If not that's ok, I will just go back to my multi beam textures.

Ie: like these blue ones
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 09:03:16 AM »
Hmm, two possible solutions come to mind here:
1) Do what the Aeolus does with the side flak turrets. Go into the turrets section in modview, and create two additional turrets, but get them to use the same turret parts as the first one.
If you then have 1 actual firepoint on each of the turrets, it should be able to fire 3 separate beams simultaneously.

However, I have not tried that with multipart turrets, so I can't say if it works properly with them (ie, what happens when the beams want to shoot different targets? What does the turret model do?)
The other problem with this method is that the beams probably won't fire simultaneously. This can be enforced though if you apply system 2 to it though. ;)

2) Not sure how ideal this one would be either, but you could try SEXPing each of the three-turrets-in-one-mesh to fire a beam  at the same time, but this can also work even if you're only using one turret.

Basically, if you tell a beam cannon to fire a shot, and then another shot and another shot with no delay between them, all three shots emerge at once from the same cannon. You could try this with the orion's main guns, since it has 3 fire points on each turret.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »
Thanks! I'll try solution#1 as #2 is just too intensive for normal mission use (maybe a cutscene).

I tried earlier making 3 firing points on 3 arms in teh same turret (x3 in turret01) only one fired.

l8tr!  (Gonna be making more pof's of buildigns for Macross Isle, unfortunately we lost teh interiors Trashman was working on.)
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 04:52:16 AM »
hey guys, a friend and I designed a new capitol ship for a campaign we are making and we cant figure out how to put textures on it using truespace, nor are we able to import it into POF Constructor Suite to convert it to a pof to test it. heres some pics below, we could really use some tips or perhaps someone to help us make textures.

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »
Well, I'll assume that you're completely new to texturing, so I'll explain the process in that level of detail. If you already know some/most of the stuff, then just skip over it, but if you don't, it's very handy to know how the system works. :)

Ok, there are 3 basic components involved here: the geometry itself, the UV map, and the texture.
The geometry is just a number of connected faces (usually triangles) that form your mesh. The texture is a just a regular image. The UV map is what defines _how_ that texture image is to be applied to the geometry - sorta like your wrapping technique defines how wrapping paper (ie, a 2D image) is applied to a present (ie, 3d object).

The simplest (easiest but usually the worst looking) form of UV mapping is called UV projection in Truespace. It basically maps your whole object in one go. The button(s) look like this:
in Truespace. Click and hold to bring up the little list of tools you can use as shown in the pic above. Clicking any of them will apply that type of UV projection to your entire selected object - it will overide any and all existing UV projections/mappings, and cannot be undone. (SAVE OFTEN!!!!)

To use this method, first select your ship and apply whichever projection seems to overall suit the shape of the ship. To set this projection, click the mouse icon.
Now you need to apply some actual texture(s).
Open up the material editor:

and then open up the colour pane (the one with the red line showing it's button in the above pic).
Right-click the colour pane (which should initially appear as a colour selector), and from the "Colour Shaders" window that pops up, choose the caligari "texture map".
Now you can right-click the colour pane again and select an image you want to use as a texture.

To apply this texture to your model, you use the three tools shown on the left of the material editor - flood fill on top, and paint-face and replace sharing the second place (click and hold the button to bring up the list of tools, just like the UV projection tool).

Using the paint-face brush, you can paint individual faces with a currently active texture. This is allright to start off with, but you'll soon find that you need more projection flexability.

Now, the most advanced form of UV mapping is UV unwrapping (a good tutorial for this can be found here), which involves manipulating the UV projections of individual faces or groups in a program like Lithunwrap, but you'll most likely want in intermediate step to warm up to that level.

Remember how you applied a UV projection to your whole selected ship? Well you can do the same thing to individual selected faces, and even better, groups of selected faces.
To select faces/groups of faces, right click your model, hold ctrl, and select all the faces that you want to apply a certain type of projection to. Planar usually works best, but it's up to you and what you're selecting.

Again, applying a UV projection to those faces will overide whatever the main projection is for them, but it will only do this for those particular faces. It is also still not undoable, so SAVE OFTEN!

You can also manipulate the projection you select by the box frame thing that appears around your selected faces:

While this doesn't quite match the flexability and raw efficiency of UV mapping in Lith, it is a fairly good way to learn the concept. :)

Finally, remember not to use too many textures on it overall, as every additional texture on your ship will degrade performance overall.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 06:08:11 PM »
well we made a bunch of modifications, then put the textures on using ur help (thanks a lot) but now when i try to open the cob in POF Suite it gives me this error :

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 07:24:56 PM »
Add a turret to the ship (Check my turreting tutorial in my FAQ for details) or simply glue a light onto the ship.

PCS won't let you convert a .cob that consists of just the mesh. You need a hierarchy. Adding a turret or light will do that and seeing as how you'll need to add turrets anyway.....

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2006, 01:16:28 AM »
wheres the "glue" button?

FusionStorm

• This is my BOOMSTICK!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2006, 01:39:20 AM »
Four Score and so many months ago, us cylons kicked your colonial butts.

Want to learn Truespace 3.2?: My Tutorial

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »
I just boomarked your tutorial...

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2006, 10:01:56 PM »
Quote from: '[dw
-hunter']wheres the "glue" button?

You may also find it easier to use the TrueView extension to drag and drop things into the right hierarchy (Which has the same effect as gluing things).

If for some reason you don't have a copy of TrueView you can get it here
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:09:53 AM by karajorma »

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2006, 03:42:33 AM »
check that link again, its linking to a hard drive.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2006, 09:09:25 AM »
Doh. That will teach me to use my local copy of the FAQ rather than the uploaded version :D

Fixed

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2006, 06:22:26 PM »
heres a fighter we came up with last night :)