Author Topic: FS2 Problem  (Read 7261 times)

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 06:43:30 PM »
Is there some problem with posting a link to the patch instead of a link to the 1.0 tables?

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
FS2 Problem
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 06:45:45 PM »
the problem is that its just another confusing thing to add to the download

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 06:49:47 PM »
Quote from: '[dw
-hunter']Reason for having 1.0 tables is that it makes it easier for people just to plug and play, not having to search for shit inorder to play. Im sure nobody wants to have to do research just to make a damn game work.

What's wrong with just pressing the update button in the retail launcher? What sort of person plays multiplayer and doesn't realise that almost every multiplayer game in existance asks you to play with the most recent official patches installed?

So make it work with 1.0 tables, it makes more sence to use standard tables, rather then search for the download and on top of that have to make another damn download. You guys just dont get the fact that not everyone wants to search for stuff. If you make it simple, we will have more recruits, when pxo works, i will post information on it to use multiplayer. But you must relize that not everyone knows stuff about computers.

This is exactly the kind of stuck in 1999 attitude I'm on about.  On top of that it doesn't even make things easier! As a result of the decision to use 1.0 tables it means that anyone who has installed FS2_Open properly (i.e on top of 1.2) now has to download extra tables in order to play online even if they use retail.

That's not easier, that's harder. Especially if you know nothing about computers. It doesn't make logical sense that you need to downgrade your copy in order to play online.

Furthermore the insistance on using 1.0 tables causes problems when they install a mod on retail (and occasionally on FSO too!).

It's a lot of hassle just for some person who can't be bothered to click the frigging update button.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 06:52:56 PM »
it doesnt do anything right now kara lol

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 05:23:14 AM »
-hunter']the problem is that its just another confusing thing to add to the download

Anyone who finds the concept of a patch confusing is going to be totally lost when it comes to table modding.

Goober5000

• Über Goober
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 06:55:15 PM »
What changed in the tables between 1.0 and 1.2?

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 07:13:30 PM »
good question goober, i would like to know as well

TS-Midnight

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 11:22:23 PM »
Lucky me, I still have the disks. Man I miss the good old days of FS2 (and of course *Terra Squadron*. So I hear this game plays quite like FS2 did, what a relief! Now if they would just make FS3 and finish the darn story. ^_^ That's right, the terrans never made it back to earth and that was a let down. If they are interested though, I have about a 1/4th of the game layed out or so, including an MMO layout that would be excellent. Techincly I'm attending college to learn to do Game Art and Design (3d modeling/texturing, concept art (not really much of a hand drawer), and stuff along those lines. I had the sole intent to make FS3 myself.

At any rate you can expect to see *TS* show up when this is released.
*TS* Terra Squadron Fleet Admiral

*TS*Midnight

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 07:30:52 PM »
MMO layout? whats wrong with the current layout?

TS-Midnight

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 08:04:56 PM »
Absolutly nothing. Just figured it would pull back a lot of players to woop it up on a VERY large scale. Systems to take over, station raids (possable FPS element there), defence of "Fleet" Territory, active trading system, wars, the ability to roam around a large ship and socialize while waiting on missions, and Squad vs Squad tournaments (active ranking). The pilot training system would have the selective missions. I won't forget the gauntlet ^_^. Just trying to think big, that way no possiblity is left unturned.

Also if anyone flew with or knew RN-Knight, he has a special role in the game, no matter if I go with the MMO or just leave it as it has been. Anyone who doesn't know him. He was old school from FS1 me and him flew just about every day, starting with the guantlet on insane. A few months after the release of FS2 he was killed by a drunk driver. Somewhere I still have the Missing man formation mission for FS1 that his Squadron put together. James Knight's family even attended the tribute.

*TS*Midnight

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 07:02:34 PM »
sounds like freelancer, you do know they are making a Freelancer 2 right? ;) Freespace is a military based game, it shouldnt be any other way :P

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 07:28:12 PM »
I don't see any reason we shouldn't have the engine do both if it were possible. I just don't think it's possible except in a FreespaceLancerish manner.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 07:30:57 PM »
What similaritys with freespace would u have is the question, u completely changed the engine in what u suggested, basicly the freelancer engine

Quote from: Goober5000

But that question still hasent been answered

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 08:06:39 PM »
-hunter']What similaritys with freespace would u have is the question, u completely changed the engine in what u suggested, basicly the freelancer engine

You could do MMO in Freespace right now. All you'd need to get fixed is the stuff allowing you to join a game that's already in progress. You'd have to accept a limit of 4 to 8 players and a much smaller playing area but pretty much everything else could be handled with some creative SEXPing (and scripting would make it easier too).  

I'm all for any changes that would remove those restrictions without changing the engine into something else (which is what I said in my earlier post).

Quote from: Goober5000

Bugger all :D

I just diff'ed them and the most significant change in ships.tbl or weapons.tbl was that they added the player_allowed flag to the training laser :lol:

The only other changes were to add strings.tbl support to the tables.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:44:55 PM by karajorma »

TS-Midnight

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »
-hunter']sounds like freelancer, you do know they are making a Freelancer 2 right? ;) Freespace is a military based game, it shouldnt be any other way :P

No, I'm not talking about Freelancer (heh, the FS engine is better anyway, just needs modification). I'm talking about moving the military scale up. I was hoping on personal missions and computer generated missions for groups to fly. Automatic system alearts that inform you of distress signals and sends a message to available squadrons on the ship to respond too. Freelancer combat was the loose, FreeSpace combat would make a much better game. Might even allow Fleets to purchase stations with Fleet Prestige or something so they have thier own place to meet and deploy from.

*TS*Midnight