Author Topic: FS2 Problem  (Read 7467 times)

WhiteWolf

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« on: February 06, 2006, 07:01:50 AM »
I have downloaded FS2 a long time ago and have played through alot of missions but did not finish, I tried loading her up this weekend and cant remember how I get it to play, I am in the command room and when I click on start a new mission it says insert disk 2, so I double clicked on disk 2 download and it does nothing, I cant start a mission, can someone please help me on this I want to see how the game looks with my new 7800GT card.

Wanderer

• Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 07:14:11 AM »
You can always update to FS2_Open (SCP) and ditch the disks. Installation guides are in Karajormas FAQ and also in  FSwiki

WhiteWolf

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 07:25:30 AM »
What does FS2 open do?

Also I dont have the disks just the downloaded ones.

WhiteWolf

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:31:22 AM »
I have the launcher in one of those instructions, so I must have open is that correct?  Now I just have to find it and use that to load instead of the start freespace desktop icon correct?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 11:26:50 AM »
Quote from: WhiteWolf
I have downloaded FS2 a long time ago and have played through alot of missions but did not finish, I tried loading her up this weekend and cant remember how I get it to play, I am in the command room and when I click on start a new mission it says insert disk 2, so I double clicked on disk 2 download and it does nothing, I cant start a mission, can someone please help me on this I want to see how the game looks with my new 7800GT card.

You appear to have downloaded a version without the cracked EXE that allows you to play without CDs. You can get it from the download page of my FAQ. Look for the HotU Crack Pack. Copy the exes (and the VP file if you wish) over anything in your main FS2 folder.

You may wish to check my FAQ for a link to the Home of the Underdogs. I uploaded a new version last week which is basically FS2 minus the cutscenes. Unless you have managed to get hold of the missing files from somewhere else the version you've downloaded is probably inferior (no music, no Command Briefing animations etc).

FS2_Open on the other hand is a massive improvement on retail FS2. Basically it's an updated engine and graphics that bring FS2 up to the level of a modern game. You'll need to have a good working version of FS2 before you try using it though or you're just asking for trouble.

MAIA

• N/A
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 11:37:35 AM »

If i remember correctly, that happens if you don't have FS2 patch version 1.2 installed.

MAIA

WhiteWolf

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 12:31:58 PM »
Thanks alot fellas, I will try to get this up from your advice after I get home from work today.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
FS2 Problem
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
Quote from: karajorma
You appear to have downloaded a version without the cracked EXE that allows you to play without CDs. You can get it from the download page of my FAQ. Look for the HotU Crack Pack. Copy the exes (and the VP file if you wish) over anything in your main FS2 folder. .

The problem with that is that the crack is 1.2, the download discs are 1.0, and you shouldnt upgrade your FS2 to 1.2 tables should you wish to play multiplayer with valid tables. If your looking for good graphics, try SCP (FS2 Open) like they said. Personally I have SCP for testing stuff with my FSOpen friends, but i dont really play it much, I use the retail version just because it works better for multiplayer, but the trade off is graphics so, if you dont mind 1999 and want to play multiplayer then stick with retail, other wise use SCP. When pxo comes back you will probably want to run retail build on it until they make SCP more of an multiplayer build.

Im not picky about graphics, Im more into gameplay then graphics. If the game plays good, ill play it. :)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 11:19:57 PM »
So upgrade to 1.2 and then get the tables from the multiplayer FAQ thread. The 1.0 to 1.2 upgrade does a lot more than just fix table errors. FRED won't deal with jump nodes that well until you upgrade for instance.

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 05:38:33 AM »
I think the new Fs2NetD uses the 1.2 tables anyway. Not 100% sure tho.

WhiteWolf

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 05:38:41 AM »
I checked it out yesterday and I already have FS2 open as well as everything upgraded to 1.2, the problem was I just needed to start the game from the launcher so you were all wrong, lol, just incase anyone else had this problem just start from the launcher and you should be fine.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 07:17:19 PM »
Why would u want 1.2 tables on it... Tomsbuild is 1.0 not 1.2, its only going to cause problems with builds

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 12:01:30 AM »
Toms will work with whichever tables you tell the server to work with. And if not update it.

It's about time that the multi community realised that it isn't 1999 and at least made the concession of patching the damn game! :p

Quite frankly having to patch the game to 1.2 to make it work with FSO and then install the 1.0 tables to play multiplayer is ridiculous. It's not like asking people to use an official patch which has been around for 7 years or so is too much to ask.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:04:37 AM by karajorma »

MAIA

• N/A
    • View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 12:19:41 AM »
I checked it out yesterday and I already have FS2 open as well as everything upgraded to 1.2, the problem was I just needed to start the game from the launcher so you were all wrong, lol, just incase anyone else had this problem just start from the launcher and you should be fine.

OF COURSE you have to use the launcher to start the game, RTFM first !!!
Hey ! You told us you had the launcher, we're not versed in telepathy, therefore how could we know you weren't using it ?!?! :confused1  

MAIA

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
FS2 Problem
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 06:09:42 PM »
It's about time that the multi community realised that it isn't 1999 and at least made the concession of patching the damn game! :p

Reason for having 1.0 tables is that it makes it easier for people just to plug and play, not having to search for shit inorder to play. Im sure nobody wants to have to do research just to make a damn game work.

Quite frankly having to patch the game to 1.2 to make it work with FSO and then install the 1.0 tables to play multiplayer is ridiculous. It's not like asking people to use an official patch which has been around for 7 years or so is too much to ask.

So make it work with 1.0 tables, it makes more sence to use standard tables, rather then search for the download and on top of that have to make another damn download. You guys just dont get the fact that not everyone wants to search for stuff. If you make it simple, we will have more recruits, when pxo works, i will post information on it to use multiplayer. But you must relize that not everyone knows stuff about computers.