Author Topic: Shadows of Lylat Asset Release  (Read 62976 times)

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/axem/
Shadows of Lylat Asset Release
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:29:57 PM »
Well, it wasn't the way we wanted to release, but its better than no release at all.

Shadows of Lylat was the first mod team I ever joined. It was the first mod team a lot of us had joined actually. We barely knew how to model or how to texture, but we learned. You can really see this just in the models of the game. The quality goes anywhere from "noob's first model" to "I'm getting the hang of this" to "Feast on the normal map baked glory that is this ship". So try to understand why there can be quite the quality disparity with some of the models.

So enjoy this asset release! It is split into two parts: Working Mod Prototype and Work in Progress.

SoL was going to be a Total Conversion, not requiring FreeSpace, but we didn't get that far. It was working standalone, but with Volition's VPs still there keeping it propped up. So this "release" requires a full FreeSpace installation, FreeSpace Open and the mediavps (3.6.12 works fine!).

I've included some VERY rough missions that took me a few hours to make. There's also some prototype missions included as well. None of that is what the final gameplay was going to be like. Just experiments and stuff for people to play with.

The Work In Progress is all of our in progress work. I didn't really sort much of it. Some of the WIP stuff has been finished and some of it is still quite incomplete.

I've tried my best to credit everyone for their work, I may have forgotten some ships or miscredited people's work... I apologize in advance for these errors!

All of the assets are released under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Basically you can use and modify our works however you like, you just can't make a profit off of it. Also it'd be really pro if you told us if you're using this stuff. It'd be neat to see where this stuff ends up.

Now get cracking! I want to see this stuff get used in a finished product!

Download Page

If after you click download the page closes and download doesn't start please try again.
If you continue to have issues downloading send a private message to Brockenstein.

If you have any questions or some issues, I'll try to help you out the best I can.

Mod Installation Guidelines:

Ensure you have a working installation of a FreeSpace installation, FreeSpace Open + Launcher and the FreeSpace Upgrade mediavps.
Extract the /SoL/ folder from the archive to your root FreeSpace Folder.
Select the mod from the launcher and hit play.

Don't expect too much! Remember, its unfinished for a reason!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:10:49 PM by Brockenstein »

Scourge of Ages

• Professional lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:58:19 AM »
Got the assets, I'll look at the rest tomorrow.

Thanks Axem, and anybody else on the team!
Come on you guys, join Hard-Light.net there\'s more awesome Freespace mods than you can shake a stick at!

mandobardanjusik

• maveric modeler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »
thanks, Axem, this should be a great asset to scourge and I

Psy_Commando

• View Profile
    • http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-sfr
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »
Thanks for the assets, but is there any chance to have the concept documents as well ?

Scourge of Ages

• Professional lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
Quote from: Psy_Commando;148711
Thanks for the assets, but is there any chance to have the concept documents as well ?

I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but I imaging that if there is anything like that, you'll find it in one of those files. Or you could at least get an idea by what was released.

Hey, did you hear yet that Mando and I are working on a mod of our own and in tribute to SoL? Check it out: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81149.0
Come on you guys, join Hard-Light.net there\'s more awesome Freespace mods than you can shake a stick at!

Brockenstein

• Of Danub!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://darkcosmos.external-logistics.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »
I apologize for any who have had issues with the download. We switched servers and I forgot to setup the mime type for 7z file. All should be working again and I also fixed the issue of having to click the download button twice. Please PM me if you have any issues with the download again.

I hope you all enjoy.

Raczack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »
Many thanks for the fix. Download worked beautifully. I'm always a little behind, but after following this for half a decade I figure at the very least I should archive in the vault of hopes and dreams.

Scourge of Ages

• Professional lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
Hey Raczack (cool name), come check out hard-light.net, where mandobardanjusik is working on a mod using these assets. Also a whole pile of other great stuff. Ever heard of Battlestar Galactica? There's a mod for that.

mariomix10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
Hey! Glad to see that you guys got an asset release out! Only problem is the fact that each time I try downloading it, it cuts off saying that "SoL_Assets.7z.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." Is this an issue on my end or a hosting issue? Please help!

dechuri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »
Quote from: mariomix10;150169
Hey! Glad to see that you guys got an asset release out! Only problem is the fact that each time I try downloading it, it cuts off saying that "SoL_Assets.7z.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." Is this an issue on my end or a hosting issue? Please help!

ive got the same problem...... so whats up?

Scourge of Ages

• Professional lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
Quote from: mariomix10;150169

Seems like an issue on your end. I just downloaded the WIPs and the Asset release with no problem. I didn't see a "SoL_Assets.7z", so try clicking the big "Download Page" link and following directions.

EDIT: nvm, it's not actually downloading. Let me check on this. If necessary, I'll set up a mirror later.

EDIT2: Aha! Axem says the download page is not working (here) and put up a couple direct links:
http://shadowsoflylat.net/dnld/Sol_Asset_Release.7z
http://shadowsoflylat.net/dnld/Sol_WIP_Assets.7z

Boom. Also, I'd recommend to both of you if you haven't already, to migrate over to hard-light.net because it's generally much more current on all things.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:25:12 PM by Scourge of Ages »

mariomix10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »
Quote from: Scourge of Ages;150357

Boom. Also, I'd recommend to both of you if you haven't already, to migrate over to hard-light.net because it's generally much more current on all things.

Yeah I already did that ages ago. :D I just come here to check on SoL.  Unless there is a board for SoL on hard-light.

Scourge of Ages

• Professional lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 04:47:16 PM »
Well, not a board as such, but there's this thread over there, and the modding board which will be where all discussion would take place. Or here, but you have to fight spambots and I'm the only one ever consistently present :)

Brockenstein

• Of Danub!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://darkcosmos.external-logistics.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
The Download page itself was fixed since Axem posted that. Please use the download page not any links. There has been some issues with overseas downloads. Its been recommend to use this plugin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/ I look into this future and see why its stopping for some people. I have been able to download it on all the computer on all the different internet connects I have available to me.

Scourge of Ages

• Professional lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »
Oh sure, now it's working, just to make me look like a noob. Ah well, it's working! Thanks Brockenstein!