Author Topic: Mod and Multi?  (Read 3556 times)

tom

• View Profile
Mod and Multi?
« on: February 11, 2006, 12:06:21 AM »
Here is a noobish question. So, don't laugh at me ;)

Is it possible to use mods in multiplayer?

That's what we did:
cash created a new model and we wanted to test it in multi.
I extracted ships.tbl to table directory and added the new ship.
We copied maps and model to the correct directories and we are using the same ships table.
We started a new game and everything worked until mission start. Only the game host can continue the mission. The client crashes at the begin of the mission. So I think the model is ok, otherwise the host would crash, too.
We tried it for tom=host and cash=client and vice versa. Everytime same result: client ends in a CTD without useful error messages.

Well, now I don't have any clue.

tom

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Mod and Multi?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 02:24:21 AM »
Yeah, you can, but compatibility isn't guaranteed with Fs2NetD

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mod and Multi?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »
It should work. Seeing how I've played both TBP and BSG online which are both total conversions I can't see why changing a single model should cause you problems.

Maybe the problem is the mission? I know that there are certain things that you can do on the host that won't work on the client in missions. None of them should crash the mission but maybe you're trying something that does.

Just out of interest what's the mission about?

tom

• View Profile
Mod and Multi?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 06:57:36 PM »
For testing purposes I modified a valid and common multi mission. I just checked the box for the new ship in the team loadout section in Fred. That was all what I did.
Maybe the model causes the problem. I forgot to mention that it's possible to play a mission, if no player and only AI use the new ship. This is quite confusing.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
Mod and Multi?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:25:37 PM »
it sounds like theres something wrong with the in game user interface. I would suggest going over the tables again and make sure everything is positioned correctly. :)