Author Topic: Simulating Cylon Jamming  (Read 2029 times)

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« on: January 17, 2006, 06:25:38 AM »
I was thinking about various methods the team might be able to use to simulate the Cylon fighter-jamming.  Now, the obvious method of simulating the engagement Boomer & Helo escaped from, would be with a timed change-ai-class sexp to switch all to none, or a "clear-goals", followed by add-goal, ai-play-dead, 89 event.  However, if you ever want to simulate it a little less selectively, create a beam weapon as a fighter primary.  Give it no beam glow, no beam texture, and no impact effect.  The beam looping sound would be the cylon eye sound.  The weapon would also have no hull dammage, but inflict heavy emp, esuck, and electronics dammage, as well as heavy subsystem dammage.  It would need to have a relatively short range, and be both rather wide, and have a negative attenuation, so it spreads out to encompasse the entire target.  It should also have a beam duration long enough to preminantly incappacitate (ie, full subsystem destruction) the target fighter, and a long fire-wait, so that it can't use it continuously.  It would also be useful to use the flag to make sure its only used on fighters, as the shut-down effect on cap-ships would be better suited via event.  Also, if you want some engagements that last a bit, don't load all the raiders with it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

evilotto

• View Profile
eye sounds
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 07:15:33 AM »
Oh ya,great idea! ,I think that Low humming sound the "eye" makes would chill my spine:shaking:  ...if I heard that in combat!;)

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 07:42:50 AM »
Or instead of doing the whole beam thing, you could just attach a sound to the subsystem.

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 07:47:02 AM »
Yes, but it won't have the disabling effect on the target fighter, and if it made as a pulse weapon, it wouldn't be continuous.  Using the sound as the beam sound, means that you'll only hear it when its being used, which is what we've seen on the show anyway.

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 07:52:54 AM »
I always got the impression that the eye always made the sound, we just usually weren't close enough to "hear" it. Sound doesn't carry too well in space, after all. ;)

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 07:54:45 AM »
Come to think of it, quite a few BSG effects are very bassy.

Digger

• Junior Grade Viper Pilot
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »
Great idea but it would only work on the MKVII fighters if I remember correctly from the miniseries

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 01:00:06 PM »
Quote from: Digger
Great idea but it would only work on the MKVII fighters if I remember correctly from the miniseries

Correct initially, but once the MkVIIs had their Nav software updates removed, they were immune too (as were all the capital ships with no networks).
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Digger

• Junior Grade Viper Pilot
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 01:41:17 AM »
Quote from: Snagger
Correct initially, but once the MkVIIs had their Nav software updates removed, they were immune too (as were all the capital ships with no networks).

So then this idea is irrelevent unless you have this feature as mission specific.

Turambar

• Hand of God
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 01:42:40 AM »
i think scripting is the way to go, since we only saw cylon jamming in action once really

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 03:07:41 PM »
Perhaps the player was involved in the main fight, but was flying one of those craft which WAS having success against the Cylons.  Just make sure that those fighters mounting jamming weapons, are given an ignore-ship, Alpha 1, or attack-any-except, Alpha 1.

ussnorway

• Battlestar Fanatic
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 11:27:33 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the cylon virus used to incapacitate both capital ships and fighters through CNP, is transmitted omnidirectionally.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please, please. We\'re in a laboratory. There are hazardous chemical compounds everywhere. That– that\'s a thermo-nuclear bomb, for frak\'s sake."

timbo1138

• View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 01:53:22 AM »
In reality, yes, but it's all about finding a way to simulate it in-game.
"There must be some way outta here,
Said the joker to the thief.
There\'s too much confusion,
I can\'t get no relief..."

All of this has happened before...

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 05:41:20 AM »
Quote from: ussnorway
If I'm not mistaken, the cylon virus used to incapacitate both capital ships and fighters through CNP, is transmitted omnidirectionally.

Then how come in the Pilot movie, Starbuck is the only pilot during the Viper MKII engagement to report the jamming attempt?  I'm guessing that in larger enagements, specific fighters or perhaps Base Stars, would each target a ship and begin transmission.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
Simulating Cylon Jamming
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 01:49:23 PM »
Quote from: The Trivial Psychic
Then how come in the Pilot movie, Starbuck is the only pilot during the Viper MKII engagement to report the jamming attempt?  I'm guessing that in larger enagements, specific fighters or perhaps Base Stars, would each target a ship and begin transmission.

I feel that was done for drama's sake...you want one of the main characters to find out that the virus has no effect; the Raider turning around like that was likely--again, in my opinion--a last-ditch effort to shut Starbuck down, since it had been unsuccessful with the others.

Remember it only took two Raiders to shut down Galactica's Mk7 squadron