Author Topic: Beauty shots Gallery  (Read 214017 times)

hazend

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
Oh...My...God!

That's just Awesome!

Lt. Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tuomaskankola.com
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »
Hehee... the 30k polys spent on the Galactica pay off pretty well :D

northtwilight

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2005, 05:31:22 PM »
Never mind the made-up profanity

That is the fucking dog's bollocks! I love it!
I could do 10 years of this easily. I think this is some of the finest usages of television I\'ve ever been a part of in my life bar none. I\'ve been doing this for 42 years. I\'ve done some really good work on television and in motion pictures, but there\'s nothing like this show. I can honestly tell you that. By far, one of the finest dramatic pieces of work on humanity I\'ve ever seen in my life."
          --Edward James Olmos

I think {BSG is} so passionate, textured, complex, subversive and challenging that it dwarfs everything on TV.
           -- Joss Whedon

cheaky monkey

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2005, 08:01:38 PM »
holy gazoo, i thought the first screen shot was from the tv.

I can not wait for this. I am so getting an upgrade so i can run this on highest settings.

You're work is fracking awsome!

timbo1138

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2005, 11:48:51 PM »
*Scrapes jaw off ground*
*Jaw just falls right back*

Words cannot possibly describe just how brain-expoldingly good that looks. Holy crap.
"There must be some way outta here,
Said the joker to the thief.
There\'s too much confusion,
I can\'t get no relief..."

All of this has happened before...

Warcaster

• Chaos Overlord
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/warcaster
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2005, 12:09:05 AM »
sweet move omni, now these guys can see what the real mod is made of!

looks like the download boycots working beter than i expected, 6 people from various sites already vowing not to download it outa respect for the work you lot are doing! now thats loyalty bschott cant buy ;)

good hunting guys, keep it up

warcaster
\'Horus was weak, Horus was a fool, he had the galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away. Let the galaxy burn!\' - Abaddon the Despoiler, At The Onset of the Cadian War M39.463  .

\'Abaddon wasn\'t much better, he couldn\'t even take the Cadian gate. I will not be so foolish. Come my brethren darkness awaits for those on Holy Terra\' -Warcaster at the battle of Trehain before the disappearence of the Black Legion 7th Company M41.212  .

Todays Date: M41.213....

Are you a Vampire or a Lycan

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »
Omni, can we post those on the BSG board?

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2005, 12:37:08 AM »
Sure, so people who downloaded it can see the quality that IS NOW THREATENED BY SHUT DOWN because of that release.

Just start a new thread over there. ENOUGH people have seen Bschott's thread.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 12:41:23 AM by Omniscaper »

Taristin

• Rock out! (Cock optional)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.BlueScalie.net
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2005, 12:47:08 AM »
Those explosions are beautiful. Those are what I like to see, as opposed to the new kind being spread around. Most notably the one DaBrain did that I think Inferno is using in their screenies. (The explosion with the many little particles)
This is a signature.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2005, 01:01:08 AM »
I understand that completely Omni...that's why I said at the 'BSG Boards'...not 'Bschott's thread'

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2005, 01:38:46 AM »
Oh. My. Fucking. God.

So that's what it looks like with Anti-aliasing.

cheaky monkey

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2005, 02:53:15 AM »
Quote from: Omniscaper
IS NOW THREATENED BY SHUT DOWN

How come the mod is threatened ? :(

And where are these BSG boards?

northtwilight

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2005, 03:19:56 AM »
Quote from: cheaky monkey
How come the mod is threatened ? :(

And where are these BSG boards?

Because just about all the reference materials used to make this mod are properties owned by others. Even with this it would be possible to continue, if prior authorisation were given to use those materials in another creation.
Examples:

Volition and Interplay hold the copyright on Freespace and FS2. The software was open-sourced, so we have been allowed to play with the tools used to make the game itself. However, the media VPs, sounds, effects, and anything else considered data (ie/ not telling the game operational things like 'put sprite here') on the original retail CDs is still distribution-restricted by the owners. (I don't want to get into the semantics of open-source and FS2's license so I'll drop that part here)

FS2 Open is owned by the Source Code Project, so we can mess around with that.

However, here is where it gets tricky.

All intellectual property associated with Galactica - the pictures, the schematics, the characters, their names, what they do and all of that -- all of that is owned and has been paid for by Sci-Fi, NBC and Universal underneath the two networks. Which means that if Universal Legal decides it wants to commission Activision, for example, to make a BSG game, it can give over all those online materials to the game house for manufacture.

So what about the renders from the effects house in the show, Zoic, from LA? Well, they were employed to create the Cylons and Galactica etc, and they sold those renders to Universal for the latter's use. Whether Universal does anything with them is a moot point. It could flush them down the drain (as they did between 1980 and 2003) if they wanted, legally speaking no one else would be able to say boo to them.

As it turns out, Glen A Larson, creator of the original cheesefest Galactica, doesn't even own the show himself -- Universal does. He wanted to remake BSG for years, but couldn't, because he couldn't manage to convince the owners to let him do it.

The materials that Omniscaper, MP et al have used were released, in most cases, by animators from Zoic who've pretty much all done so off their own back -- extremely unofficially. Those animators, however, do not own those pics.

It's up in the air as to whether or not Universal will forbid this or not. But in the team's favour, they're not doing this to make cash, nor have they been paid for their efforts. Moreover, they're not advertising it as a Universal product (which is significant). It's really a judgement call, and drawing attention to the mod at this stage is actually a pretty bad idea, in my opinion. Hence the anger.

HTH
I could do 10 years of this easily. I think this is some of the finest usages of television I\'ve ever been a part of in my life bar none. I\'ve been doing this for 42 years. I\'ve done some really good work on television and in motion pictures, but there\'s nothing like this show. I can honestly tell you that. By far, one of the finest dramatic pieces of work on humanity I\'ve ever seen in my life."
          --Edward James Olmos

I think {BSG is} so passionate, textured, complex, subversive and challenging that it dwarfs everything on TV.
           -- Joss Whedon

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2005, 04:09:43 AM »
There's also the factor of how this will reflect on the series. In marketing and politics, association is important...if the mod is somehow seen as a negative association, that's not going to help. If it is actually supportive of the series, and is good enough quality that it might gain interest (and as a result, money) for the series, then it will be a positive association.

The team is committed to doing the show justice...I think all or most of the team has bought the Season 1 DVD set as well, and are fans of the series. But, if someone thinks the Alpha is buggy and half-completed and representative of the work of the mod, that commitment isn't going to matter, and people will get the wrong idea. ("THIS is what they call a release? Somebody shut them down before they start scaring away fans")

Now I don't think anyone's had anything especially bad to say about the alpha, nor do I think anyone is going to quit watching BSG because of it, but it's really the Universal execs that have the final say.

Vapor

• View Profile
Beauty shots Gallery
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2005, 04:59:29 AM »
Sweet screenshots there! :)
Its all shaping up nicely.