Author Topic: Newest Screenshots... (pimpage)  (Read 106018 times)

charmquark

• View Profile
Newest Screenshots... (pimpage)
« Reply #270 on: June 07, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »
yes I have. But they are about the development of the game, not about the game itself. Do you have any estimation about how many people plays it? Who makes the 3d models, which limitations have the 3d models to fit in the game?

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2008, 04:19:33 PM »
Actually since I am just a converter and concern myself with modding, the first question I never explored... From my POV many people play it (it's a classic space shooter favorite and blamed by many for the downfall of Wing Commander - It wasn't, please blame Origin!)

Aside from it's existing fanbase (since the late 90's) massive exposure from Spacebattles.com and more widely Sci-fi.com itself around 2 years ago created a huge influx of people new to the game (For the BSG BTRL mod, you no doubt noticed it on this site).

This site hosts around 15 other MODS but the majority of users are new people now and think it's a BSG site!!!!! :P

Anyway to show you how influential this game is in the genre, Derek Smart (he who should NOT be named) once stated he was going to try to buy the FS2 license from Interplay. In the end he didn't (thank the Universe!)...

Since then our little community keeps growing and there are several sites dedicated to FS2. This site is the "little Sister" site of HLP or Hard Light Productions. HLP and Sectorgame/FS2sector  are the two MAJOR sites that survived since the days that Volition (the game makers) stopped forums and active support for the game.

New players continually discover (or re-discover) the game thanks to the Source Code Project and the buzz that is generated in Magazines and demo disks (usually in Europe).

The SCP took a decent game and made it almost comparable to retail games you can buy NOW. Of course there is only so much you can do with a 10+ year old game, but SCP has extended the life of FS2 indefinitely until someone else takes a serious stab at the Space Shooter genre...

Starshatter is the only serious contender I can think of off the top of my head.

However FS2 was intended to be mod friendly and continues to be easy enough for complete noobs (like me), can actually see some of their ideas materialize in game.

If someone told me in 2001 I was going to be head of a Robotech project (and Star Trek) and have not only SDF-1, but VF's in a space shooter and do voice acting, and have the illusion of planetary surfaces/atmosphere I would have called them a complete LOON!

-----------------

As for the models, we have them from many sources (they are credited in one of the main stickies). Models come from many formats, as long as I can use 3dexploration to convert them to .cobs (the necessary evil of FS2, as the max importer is still "buggy" according to our max experts). Or better yet if model makers can save/convert to .cob (Calligari Truespace format) themselves to keep errors to a minimum!

We've had models made from many major formats like C4d, Rhino, LWo, MAX, Blender, ect... Doesn't matter what program was used, long as the end result is .cob they shouldl work. SCP is developing bump maps and normal maps with varied success, added glow and shine maps thus making the old resources come more alive!

As for poly limit, we really don't know what the hard limit is now. In retail the limit for decent performance was around 2k max for a fighter and 6k for a super cap ship.

Now I convert 8k fighters with no performance problems and our largest capship ever ported to game is 60k-69k-ish WIP PEGASUS for BSG:BTRL!

The only other limitation I can think of for models if a hierarchy thing. Models should be one object, optimized and clean with no duplicate polygons/verts, points under 20, and IF they do have subobjects (usually visible systems for destruction or things like turrets) they should be under 850 polygons. (I am NOT a modeler so I don't even know what I just said, lol, you just memorize that dogma I guess.) :)

Models can now be animated and have moving parts, but please don't ask me about that! ;)

That's the basics. But for expert advice I recommend you take this to the general forum here on Game Warden or over at the HLP modding forum:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,8.0.html

I am biased cause I love this game, but am not the very best source of information about it's true capabilities/limits.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 05:01:14 PM by Star Dragon »
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 08, 2008, 04:45:27 PM »
Plus you can only tell so much from screenshots. SCP also continues to evolved and you can see it's progress on HLP in their section threads.

If you have any more questions, would you mind taking them to my Q&A sticky? I don't want to clutter up my SS thread with multiple postings. However I will throw a few more non-RT SS's up to give you an idea of what has been done on the FS2 engine related to (TC mods etc)...

Thanks to the HW2 team I fly a 8k Gundam out of the Albion!

The Borg teach the Minbari anyone can get their arse kicked...

You see that yellow thing surrounded by green? That's the busines end of the Boldoza base main cannon and that little figure is my Gundam (close to VT sized) so I'm basically FUBAR if it decides to fire right now... IDK is that's the 84km ot 126km version...

Change of command, the new captain shuttles over from DS9 to the USS Soulwolf (ENT-F is same class)

A joke scene as the Battle of the line turns out somewhat different (in a fanfiction) as the Minbari find that SHIELDS SUCK and that Phasers trump crystaline armor...
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 08, 2008, 04:46:16 PM »
Tragically this model has been lost, this was to represent the last thing a Zent commander saw (Lisa's D-Punch!) I was simply going to ram the SDF-1 at the enemy! :)

A test of my fever induced vision of a Howard the Duck universe version of ROBOQUACK(TM), Don't ask!!!

Yamato undergoes a main gun refit...

And then proceeds to smack down some Gamilons...

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 08, 2008, 04:46:37 PM »
A Shivan Sathanas gets one-shotted by the Doomsday machine...

Oniell makes a run inside the super structure of a enhanced HATAK with an f-302...

Char, Armuro, and Remote Bits (Oh MY!) :)

GY's (HW2) yukkikaze

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 08, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »
VF's in all three modes (static /cosmetic ONLY!)

The Federation Battlefortress Yamato is trapped in a new universe...

Super secret Getter Project pic all three ships combine to form a Super Robot (ME!!!)
and it works...

We got some of our Destroids from Humora's C&C General's ZH MOD: Xenoforce!

I hope people liked this little tangent walk through memory lane...
I did all of these conversions thanks only to the support of the mesh authors.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 08, 2009, 07:22:30 PM »
Well now MINOR update.

Been wanting to overhaul the old Macross Cannon and think I'm pretty close.

Here's a test with the firing ship being a remote beam cannon blasting a Klingon. This is the smallest version of a MC for the REF. They never had it in canon, but I an retro added it. RDF only had SDF-1's cannon and the Grand Cannon.

I intend to try to have the Grand Cannon fire like a Terslash so you see it sweep across many ships and the background fleet.

I also used the screenshot in our "make a fake movie promo" thread...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:25:32 PM by Star Dragon »

enrico7113

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 01, 2009, 10:23:07 AM »
Hi Star Dragon
please do you know if it is available for download the star blazers mod ?
I really would like to play it
I am a big fan of star blazers universe :)

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 01, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »
As I said in the PM you sent me... it is not available in any for capable of release...
More SKILLED help is needed, go to starshatter.

http://www.starshattermods.com/news.php

Almost all the resources I had were used in their mod effort so you won't miss much. ;)