Author Topic: New Concepts in Multiplayer - Part II  (Read 7660 times)

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
New Concepts in Multiplayer - Part II
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 11:31:58 PM »
Raven, you think u could tell me ur ICQ or MSN so i could contact you durring the week for week events ? and yes for fs2netd u have to start over. but obvously that isnt going to happen anytime soon, so we play via ip, usually on my host, because im always availble for a game.

DW-Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 08:07:48 PM »
MSN IM: Narlypatarly

When I am on let me know when you are playing.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 08:10:19 PM »
added

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 08:14:14 PM »
thats @hotmail right?

DW-Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 05:43:31 PM »
Right

Foxer

• Extended Range
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 05:05:49 PM »
Guys :) Let's back to the topic. Btw. Hi Raven! :D

So... I was playing some KotH matches and must say that I'm impressed. This -new game mode- is a very good idea and I think you should release it with final version very soon Karajorma. (I hope). Me and some other ppl (most from polish community) are very interested in it :).

But only one thing... game plays with 4 pilots, standard 2v2, I was a hostman. And that limitation with client's messages is a bit tiring :(. That's not good when I (host) got precise msgs about the King, and clients don't. I know who do I shoot... neither do everybody else. I think it can be a lot more fun if everyone can be known about who is the King actually. Then all know who is to hunt, hostiles concentrates on King and friendlys protects The One :).

So I hope that SCP will improve some code to make this work soon.

Oh... when someone stayed King of the Hill for 2 minutes and the game is won by he and his team, the "counter" messages is still clock up. I think there is no need for that, and clock should be stop just after we got a winner.

Well... very good job btw :nod::yes:. Make it release and maybe add some various missions (maybe one with only fast ships, one with heavy... one with bombers ( ;) ) and one... Old School FS1 with no shields... and maybe one in asteroid field. OK that's enought, i said too much :p).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 05:15:44 PM by Foxer »
Greetings, Foxer / {303}Foxer / FOXeR_mk
TerraNet FreeSpace.PL Forum | Squadron 303

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 11:27:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Foxer. It's very useful to know what people think of it.

As you can tell from the filename what you had was the proof of concept. I've already added a few things to my local copy of the mission to enhance the mission. First the mission now tells you which team is winning. I can't make it tell you which player is winning without a lot of tiresome and repeatative FREDding but knowing which team is in the lead should help when you have more than 2 players.
 The original message saying exactly who is actually King is in there but disabled so when the SCP fix that limitation I'll be able to convert the mission to tell you exactly who is king in a few seconds (It's as simple as cutting out one SEXP and deleting a couple of events).

Second, there is now a bonus objective of making sure that the other team never becomes King of the Hill. An incentive to use the Horus and ensure that someone on your team gets to the node first perhaps :)

Thirdly now that I've got some feedback from yourself and DW-Hunter I can turn the proof of concept into a proper mission. I should be able to find some free time this week to finish it. I like the idea of mission varients and it's pretty simple to make the ones that you mention.

I had already notice that the messages kept repeating after one side wins but I left them on as they're useful while bug hunting. They'll disappear in the final version :)

If you have any other ideas for the mission be sure to pipe up. I don't play multi that much so I'm always ready to hear from those who do.

EDIT : Had another idea and I figured I'd post it rather than risk forgetting it. It should be fairly trivial to allow the game to say who came closest to winning if neither team actually lasts for the full 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:48:39 AM by karajorma »

Foxer

• Extended Range
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2006, 12:47:41 AM »
Your welcome. We can test any more stuff anytime! :)
Changes for the final version looks very good and promising. Information about which team is winning for all players will certainly increase the gameplay. Can't wait final mission(s).

Foxer

• Extended Range
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006, 09:35:15 PM »
Hello again Karajorma. You post about some multiplayer campaing few months ago here. But for now the 'details' link is broken (it goes to the old HLP Forums). Is there any option to download it and/or read about it for now?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 11:24:05 PM »
It's pretty easy to convert an old HLP link to a new one. Just open a random post on HLP and then take the numbers after t= in the old link and substitute them for the numbers after topic, in the new post.

Anyway I've done that for you already and you can read about it here

The idea basically fell apart because of that problem with variables in multiplayer. The mission used string variable pretty heavily in order to keep track of which ships had been bought. Despite what I say at the end of the HLP thread I'm fairly convinced that the problem was due to variables not the Change-Ship-Model SEXP now that I've thought about it some more.
 So once the variable problem is fixed I fully intend to ressurrect the missions :)

I don't think it's worth putting the missions back up for download cause they were pretty alpha anyway and due to the bug they don't work at all so it's not worth playing them. If you have any ideas for what you'd like to see in the campaign though feel free to mention them here :)

BTW In case you're wondering this campaign was New Concepts In Multiplayer - Part I. The one I mention not working at the top of this thread :)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 01:12:01 PM »
BUMP!

Just wanted to point out that this hasn't been forgotten about. I converted a version to work with the BSG mod and was playtesting it this weekend.

Just got a few more bugs to work out and then I'll work up and release the FS2 versions.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53:26 AM »
And just 12 hours later I have something to show :)

Its still not final by a fair bit so I welcome all feedback but here is my first King of the Hill mission pack. Featuring 5 missions (with identical briefings for the moment).

Light Fighter 01 - Basically a mission with a choice of light fighters.
Light Fighter 02 - As above but in an asteroid field.
Heavy Fighter 01 and 02 - Same as the respective light fighter missions with a different loadout.

Heavy fighter 03 - This is the really new one. In addition to the other team the players face 4 hostile Aeolus cruisers. How you handle them should make for some interesting mission dynamics hopefully :) Seeing as how all the missions are rigged to make AI players jump out at the start of the mission this is probably one for 4 or more players.

I'm particularly interested in knowing if the mission works with more than two players. The only time I have tested it with 3 players one of them jumped out with apparently no player interaction and the mission ended abruptly. If this occurs I'll have to remove the code to make the AI ships jump out automatically.

Anyway here are the missions. You'll need a pretty recent CVS build to get them to work (I'm using 16\01\06).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 07:56:31 PM by karajorma »

[IA]-Avarice

• View Profile
    • http://www.infernalalliance.com
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »
Did you make one that is just regular Heavy fighters in astroid field?

Foxer

• Extended Range
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 07:45:26 PM »
Sweet! : )

Downloading missions... Complete!
Searching for available players... Complete!

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2006, 07:54:37 PM »
Quote from: '[IA
-Avarice']Did you make one that is just regular Heavy fighters in astroid field?

Heavy Fighter 02 is a King of the Hill mission in an asteroid field.

For the moment the missions are just about seeing what works and what doesn't. I'll make up the final loadouts (and release a mission with a generic loadout that people can edit to their hearts content) once I get some feedback :)