Author Topic: New Concepts in Multiplayer - Part II  (Read 7574 times)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New Concepts in Multiplayer - Part II
« on: December 10, 2005, 01:53:38 AM »
Okay. Here's the second part of my experiment to add new gameplay styles to multiplayer. Unlike part 1 this one is actually working :D

Freepace 2 - King of the Hill

No I don't mean like the cartoon. I mean like the multiplayer game you see in Halo and other FPSs. Basically this is a standard TvT mission in most respects except that the player who gets to within 1km of the jump node first becomes King of the Hill.

If he can stay King of the Hill for 2 minutes the player wins the game for his team.

If the player dies or leaves the node he stops being King and a new King is selected (The player who has been within 1km of the node for the longest).

------------------------
Current limitations

- This version is just a proof of concept at the moment. That doesn't mean it's unplayable, I just had a very enjoyable game with DW-Hunter on it. It means however that there is no brief or debrief yet and the loadouts etc haven't been balanced.

- Only the host will see messages that contain variables correctly. Other players will recieve messages every ten seconds saying that a ship called dummy (the current king) has been king for 0 seconds. They will get message at 30 and 60 seconds before the king wins the game but that still won't say who the king actually is though. This one is due to a limitation in FS2 whereby variables aren't passed on to the clients. Hopefully the SCP will fix this eventually but for the moment it should be fairly easy to spot who is king. They'll be the ship in the centre of the node who hasn't been killed for nearly 2 minutes :D

- Don't jump out while your ship is within 1km of the node. Don't order the AI pilots to do so either. This one is my bug. It will be fixed in the next version.
------------------------

Anyway if anyone feels like playing PM me or catch me on ICQ or Yahoo tomorrow and if I'm around I'll be more than happy to play :)

If you want to play amongst yourselves that's fine too but if you spot any bugs in the core events make sure you tell me.

Anyway here's the mission! :)

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:40:53 PM »
Make it so it tells the players what team has the hill ;) :yes:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 08:03:54 PM by [dw]-hunter »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 11:45:06 AM »
I can add that. The Messages already present should have been telling you which team had control of the hill but cause of that bug with variables it won't say any more than A Ship has the hill (If you look at the misson there is actually a ship called A Ship and that one is the one the clients are all talking about :D ).

That said after adding some stuff over the weekend it seems pretty easy to use a message without variables in to say which team is in control even if it's not the most user-friendly way to do it.

Foxer

• Extended Range
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 10:43:41 AM »
Wow, that's something new! I'll have a flight tonight with few friends, we will check it out  for sure :). So everything what I need for my team to win is stay alive and stay inside jump node... Right? It's 1km long from the center of the node or from the borders of the node?
Greetings, Foxer / {303}Foxer / FOXeR_mk
TerraNet FreeSpace.PL Forum | Squadron 303

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 11:00:15 AM »
All you need to do is keep the king alive for 2 minutes while he stays 1km from the crate at the centre of the node (The node is just there to make it easier to tell if you're going out of range).

The rest of the squad can sacrifice themselves to protect him.

The amount of time required to win the game and the distance are both set in variables so that means that if you want them changed it shouldn't be very hard to do it at all.

BTW I forgot to mention that you will need FS2_Open to play this. You shouldn't need the media.vps or anything though. Just the executable and launcher so it shouldn't interfere with anyone who plays on retail.

Foxer

• Extended Range
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 11:16:32 AM »
Very nice :) great. I will post a feedback here when we'll finish.
Greetings, Foxer / {303}Foxer / FOXeR_mk
TerraNet FreeSpace.PL Forum | Squadron 303

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 12:35:08 PM »
Make certain you have the AI jump out at the start of the mission too. There is something screwy going on if one of them ever manages to become King but for the life of me I can't see anything wrong with my Events. It may actually be something in code.

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 04:21:27 PM »
im gonna try and get this server fixed this weekend

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 05:00:10 PM »
Nice work. I'll probaby take part tomorrow.
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 09:54:48 PM »
Sorry, I've had massive problems with my internet connection. It's disconnecting every ten minutes and the only way I can it back working is switching off the DSL modem and turning is on again. :(

Very annoying.
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

DW-Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 01:56:45 AM »
Hi guys, Raven here.  Long time no see.  Anyway I was updating the game options for fs2net and I don't seem to know where to get the multiplayer game file.  Can someone direct me to it?  I noticed when I was on the sorce code project site and I were looking over the steps to play again.  If someone could helpe me with that I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

Raven

Goober5000

• Über Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 07:45:24 AM »
It's in mv_core.vp.  Found in the mediaVP section of the downloads on the SCP site.

DW-Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 02:20:56 PM »
Thank you

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 06:28:36 PM »
Quote from: DW-Raven
Hi guys, Raven here.  Long time no see.  Anyway I was updating the game options for fs2net and I don't seem to know where to get the multiplayer game file.  Can someone direct me to it?  I noticed when I was on the sorce code project site and I were looking over the steps to play again.  If someone could helpe me with that I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

Raven

FS2Netd is down currently ;) youll have to play via ip main ip we play on is on, 24.5.104.155 it is only up for a while when we play, usually around 7PM GMT

btw if you didnt already know, Im Admiral Khafe :D

DW-Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 05:08:49 PM »
Yo Khafe!  Good to see you around.  See you in space.  Also, I noticed that the stats on the site are different and that my pilot is no longer on there.  Should I have to start a new pilot on multi?  Anything info i could use would help greatly.  See you in space.

DW-Raven