Author Topic: Keep crashing when I try to host with FS2_Open  (Read 4128 times)

Gryphon7

• View Profile
Keep crashing when I try to host with FS2_Open
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:14:08 AM »
Hello there,

I'm having difficulty looking for a solution to my problem.  I'm aware the FS2NetD server is down at the moment, but I wanted to try to host a LAN game like I sometimes do, but when I hit Create Game, then commit, I get a windows error (ya know, the one where it asks you to report it), and the game shuts down.  And the same thing happens when I try to get the -standalone option to work in the FS2_Open launcher.  Any idea how to fix this?  Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

-Gryphon

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:26:17 AM »
Which build of FS2_Open? Which media.vp files?

Gryphon7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 01:01:13 AM »
Not sure what you mean by the media.vp files, but I'm using the FS2_Open 5.3 launcher.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 02:29:40 AM »
The launcher isn't the important bit :) I need to know if you're using 3.6.7 or one of the CVS builds. The Media VPs have names beginning with mv_ and ending in .vp You'll find them in your main Freespace2 folder if you downloaded them then forgot about it :)

Gryphon7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 03:13:06 AM »
Under my main freespace 2 folder I have none of the Media VPs you speak of, but there are other .vp files, just none that begin with mv_.  Do I need to download these media vp files? Cause I only downloaded the FS2_Open from here: http://scp.indiegames.us/e107_plugins/custompages/fs2netdguide.php  Under step 1.  

And under step 2 I got the multiplayer config file, though the link isn't functional anymore so I got it from here under step 3: http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267

However I didn't put that config file in my data folder, because the other instructions (in the first link) said NOT to do it.  So as you can see I'm quite confused :(  Anyway I appreciate your help so far.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 03:25:30 AM »
As far as I know it shouldn't matter which folder you put it in. FS2 will look both in Freespace2 and Data.

However you should only need the file if you're trying to play using FS2NetD which is down at the moment. Press F2, go to multi and make sure that the PXO button is unlit and try again.

Gryphon7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 07:47:42 AM »
Lol, it worked.  I unclicked PXO under the multi options in the game and now I can host without it crashing on me.  Thx a bunch, can't believe it was that simple!

However I do have one question while you're here, if you don't mind.  What exactly is the 'standalone' option in the launcher under Features tab in multi listings?  It looks like a program used to host your own server if I'm right?  Whenever I try getting that to work, I get the same exact error and crash as I was having before with my former problem.  If it isn't much of a bother, any idea what the problem may be?  Again, thanks a ton!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 07:49:55 AM by Gryphon7 »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 11:22:57 AM »
Standalone was used to create a standalone server on your PC which other people could then connect to. It doesn't work too well from what I hear.

Gryphon7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
Alright, I guess I'll just wait till FS2Net gets up.  Thanks so much for your help :)

-Gryphon