Author Topic: 24 hour dedicated in-game join server  (Read 19705 times)

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
24 hour dedicated in-game join server
« on: October 12, 2005, 05:19:07 PM »
I got a second PC here and thought about setting up a dedicated server for game hosting.

Sadly I wasn't able to get it working, maybe the -standalone code was broken. :(

My idea was to set up a server that hosts a never-ending game. (Which can be played alone too.)

With the in-game join option, people could easily join all the time.

Maybe we this would bring some more players together. ;)

If you have any idea how to set up a dedicated server like this, or in case you want to FRED a mission for this, just post here. ;)
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

Foxer

• Extended Range
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 09:18:51 PM »
Very nice idea! I guess to make it real you will need to do some (or more ;)) changes in current FS2 / FS2Open netcode. To allow in-game joining (it's started in SCP but not finished yet) and allow server to play mission with noone on board (alone). It's not look to be a VERY BIG issue for a good programmer, but there can be some problems with current mission system...

I would like it to be an TvT mission (because I loved TvT competitions :)), but it can make problem for the in-game joining. What problem?! Main problem of in-game joining in TvT mode: how to choose team (green / red) when you join it in-game. Idea for solution: join to game as observer / spectator of green (for better orientation) and then enter (like a msg to other ppl) command like: /join red.

If it's will be a Co-operative mission, the in-join problem is back. How to choose wing?! There is seems that this problem not involved only with Dog-Fights mode. I'm sure that's why SCP begin to create in-join option for Doggy mode firstly ;).

Other problems?! Yes... i think. And this involves every mode - how to choose ship and weapons when you join in-game?

---

BTW. If you wish to set up a traditional standalone server now, just launch -standalone with Tom's Old Engine Build. It's working.
Greetings, Foxer / {303}Foxer / FOXeR_mk
TerraNet FreeSpace.PL Forum | Squadron 303

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 06:11:47 AM »
Man, I already thought nobody is interested in this. :)

Maybe it's time to suggest some code changes. :drevil:
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 07:15:27 AM »
After all the playing about I've done with the ship-create SEXP I think a never ending mission is now possible as you can easily fix things so that the game spawns new enemy ships whenever you need them.

I've been toying with the idea of making a Freelancer style persistant mission in my head :) The only thing that has been stopping me is that I'm pretty sure I'll run into the same problem I had earlier of SCP SEXPs not working properly on multiplayer.