Author Topic: Campaigns Campaigns  (Read 4844 times)

Cobra

• Hiss.
    • View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2006, 04:31:37 PM »
wheee, triple post.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:36:58 PM by Cobra »
Fan of every space game on the planet.
"When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

Pathways - Nothing Is As It Seems

GTI: Rebellion - Where\'s your loyalty?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2006, 06:34:15 PM »
Quote from: slslookout
if your gonna mod like this why dont you mod freelancer, the graphics are just as good if not better and is set up to do things like selecting contracts.:eek:

Cause quite frankly I want to play this sort of thing in the Freespace engine. I like Freelancer but the contract stuff was boring as hell. Fly to x. Kill y. Get money. Repeat.

FS2 has much more capacity for setting up the individual contracts as being exciting, unrepeatative missions that Freelancer does. As for the bit where you choose contracts. Well the SCP is here to help :)

Quite frankly something like Mercs is exactly what I would want to make after I finish Seeds of Rebelion. Don't be surprised if I'm asking Shadowwolf if he wants to team up later this year/early next year :)

crucial_soul

• Calamity from the skies
    • View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2006, 01:53:39 AM »
i like the idea of mercs, though i have a feeling that its kinda.....abandoned. no posts on project status or anything since 2005 i think that they aren't making this campaign anymore. any1 can shed some light on this campaign?

Hammer

• Easy Like Sunday Morning
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2006, 07:44:28 AM »
slight hiatus, busy doing r/l stuff and stuff
:drevil:

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2006, 09:45:04 AM »
ShadowWolf is busy with other things at the moment (He's the main FREDder on at least 2-3 other projects) so I'm not surprised he's busy.

If after SoR is finished someone else hasn't done Mercs I'll be doing something like it myself anyway :)

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 06:14:05 AM »
Quote from: karajorma

If after SoR is finished someone else hasn't done Mercs I'll be doing something like it myself anyway :)

Ahhahaha...wait, were you serious? :p
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 08:14:42 AM »
Absolutely. A campaign like Mercs is exactly what I designed the new loadout code for.

I want to see a campaign where the player has to buy his own ship and gets to choose how many wingmen he brings along (having to pay them for their time of course) and things like that. Personally I think Freelancer and the other open-ended space sims do a dreadful job of it. You have scripted missions which have interesting occurances and then you have non-scripted ones which soon get boring and repeatative.

In the FS2_Open engine though everything has to be scripted (unless you do a BHX style campaign - and even that is probably more rigid than Freelancer) which I think is a good thing. It means you have to work harder on each mission but they end up better.

As for when SoR will be finished I had planned to make a big push and get some major work done over the last two months when Omni's announcement forced me to suddenly make BtRL a priority. Still a little annoyed about that cause I had little more than a day to work on SoR after committing the code for team loadout before I suddenly had to drop it again. (The main delays to SoR were script issues and the fact that I was waiting for team loadout)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:17:28 AM by karajorma »

thesizzler

• Some 1337 coustom title
    • View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 03:21:26 AM »
Quote from: karajorma;37483
Cause quite frankly I want to play this sort of thing in the Freespace engine. I like Freelancer but the contract stuff was boring as hell. Fly to x. Kill y. Get money. Repeat.

FS2 has much more capacity for setting up the individual contracts as being exciting, unrepeatative missions that Freelancer does. As for the bit where you choose contracts. Well the SCP is here to help :)

Quite frankly something like Mercs is exactly what I would want to make after I finish Seeds of Rebelion. Don't be surprised if I'm asking Shadowwolf if he wants to team up later this year/early next year :)

I agree with Kara, as the Freelancer missions were randomly generated, only replacing the coordanites, difficulty, and mission type ( about 5 or 6 different types). Replayability without being different. FS2 with different backgrounds. Half-Life with different textures. Command & conqer, except the ore is in different places.

This mod looks very cool, and if you guys need any help with a little freding or testing (or possibly even some table editing), I'd be more than happy to help. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:24:49 AM by thesizzler »
[SIGPIC]C:\\Documents and Settings\\Charles\\My Documents\\space.PNG[/SIGPIC]

Selectah

• View Profile
Mercenaries Campaign
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 09:52:13 PM »
Hiya,

What seemeth to be the status of the campaign? Like, 735 days from the start?

Cordially,
~Selectah
everything above this line is utter nonsense